a macbook for a student?

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm completely new here, hope I won't disturb you :dive:
The problem is, as I'm starting my studies at university this fall, I need to buy a computer. I considered buying a laptop- a one that would suit my both studying and entertainment needs. As I feel the urge to change my windows and try something new- like mac OS- and I really adore the look of macbook, and, all in all, the more I read about them, the more I seem to like them :), I started thinking about purchasing a macbook.
As I mentioned above, my macbook would be used for studies (ebooks, writing assignments, printing them, searching information on the internet, all that office stuff,a few programmes for chemistry, biochemistry and similar stuff, and of course some stuff with pictures (anatomy and so on as I'm going to study medicine) and entertainment (music, movies, TV, maybe some amateur photo/video editing).
I think I'm going to choose MacBook MA700 White, 13.3" Core2 Duo 2.0GHz/4MB/667FSB, Intel GMA950 Video, 1024MB DDR2-667, 80 GB HDD. I was quite scared about the 13" screen at first, but my guess is it will be just enough to satisfy my needs and it's even better that I will be able to take my mac wherever I go :)
Anyways, I hope you guys can give me some advice about this mac- whether I should really purchase this one, what problems can I experience in the future (Apple is only getting started where I live, not many people really know how to fix macs,and I don't really want to have too much of a problem), etc. I'm buying it on july- maybe I should wait for some newer versions of software/hardware/etc?
And I also wanted to ask what good does the upgrading from 1gb to 2gb. I read somewhere it can increase battery life- it's also important to me as I'm going to use my mac in my class where power cable is not an option :)

many thanks for the advice and for your time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
My university actually just started issuing incoming freshmen laptops, with a base choice of a macbook or some 15-inch dell, or for $1k, you could upgrade to macbook pro, or some dell. I don't remember the specs of the dells, but I do know the base dell is a lot bulkier and heavier than the my mb.

I love it, and recommend it highly enough, as a student. I do know that most/all of the students that chose the dell because of simply being unfamiliar with macs have greatly regretted it.

I'm a nursing student, but my wonderful college throws the underacgieving nursing students in with the biochem whiz kids for all the freshman year science classes, and a majority of sophmore year classes.

Your back will greatly thank you for going with the macbook - it's a lot of computer packed into a pretty light package, which is nice for me, and I know that some of my brethren on the 5th floor of my elevator-less dorm appreciate it. My micro, bio, and organic books are heavy enough ...

As far as battery life, you may want to just invest in a second one. I can get most of of what I need out of mine when I start with a full battery, but do the math - if you've got classes straight through from 7AM til noon, the 3-4 battery life simply won't cut it. I'd wait on shelling out the dough for the extra battery though, you might be surprised at the accessibility of outlets. I know I was.

With the amount of writing I've had to do, I can't believe I waited as long as I did to get a wireless keyboard/mouse. Sitting curled over a laptop, looking nearly at your hands in order to see the screen just doesn't cut it for me, especially as a ahhhh, vertically blessed member of the population.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the macbook in academia, chances are I've run into the issue!

Reaction score
I love my macbook. I don't know where I'd be with out it. Even my teachers want to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.