a few reservations..

Reaction score
Hey guys, i been thinking about switching to the wonderful world of macs for quite a while now. I've been a bit reluctant to make the change, adopting the narrow minded view that no software that i use isnt going to be compatable.. Im after a macbook and the only real software i use at the moment is microsoft office 2007. I've got a fear that in the future i ll need to use a certain type of software and it wont be compatible leaving my purchase rather redunant. I supose im here for some reassurance as i've never owned a mac before so havent really got a clue whether there are any compatability issues.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You can always install Windows on another partition and choose whether to use OS X or Windows when you start up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Also, they make MS Office for Mac, currently 2004, but 2008 should be out in the near future, if not already out. There is also NeoOffice, a free suite similar to MS Office, and able to create the same document formats to move between MS Office and NeoOffice.

I'm not sure if NeoOffice will do the new MS Office formats, but definitely .doc, .rtf, .xls, etc.

And as stated previously, if you need too, you can run Windows on your mac, either virtually with something like Parallels, or on a separate partition booting it natively using Bootcamp (free from apple).

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I supose im here for some reassurance as i've never owned a mac before so havent really got a clue whether there are any compatability issues.

At this point, compatibility issues are a thing of the past. Boot Camp (search for it and you'll find plenty more info) is a free program that allows you to easily run Windows XP or Vista on your Mac as a partition. At boot up, you choose which OS you would like to run... thus allowing you to use any software you'd like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
Another option is parrallels which you can use windows while running OS X simultaneously..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
i dont think you'll need Windows at all - the only thing Windows has more of is games, which may bother you. I don't care, I was never much of a PC Gamer.

Reaction score
Seriously. I do my gaming on consoles so I don't need Windows for a single thing. Mac 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
It doesn't sound as if you'd have compatibility issues. I've had my macbook for three weeks and have had none. The only time I've turned on my PC since has been to transfer files!
st_oval_05_m.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
yea, on my medical campus the internet mail servers are IBM based, and when the menu stating that my computer is not optimized for this software pops-up i still click okay, and all my mail is visible and perfectly coherent. So even with some compatiblity issues, tiger still manages to find a way... no serious issues for compatibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.