a couple of basic PB questions

X

xr600

Hi.

As I'm currently doing alot of computer related work, I thought of replacing my trusty G4 12" ibook with a 15.2" Tibook (2. hand)... Mostly because of the larger screen size :).

However... after surfing the web for info, I found alot of people complaining about cracking paint, broken screen hinges etc...

My question is this : Are these problems related only to the early models of the Tibook, or does it affect the whole production line ??. I'm currently looking at a 1 Gz. model, which is supposedly the last one in production... are the above mentioned problems fixed on this model ??.

Another thing I'm considering is the Airport reception... I'm having no problems what so ever with my ibook, but somebody told me that the reception on the Ti really suck... has anyone got any hands on experience with the difference on the two ?.

The model I'm considering has a superdrive installed... But I caan't seem to find any info on what specific format it uses ?!... I mean... I'm no expert on DVD burning at all (in fact I never tried it), so I'm a bit worried about compatibility issues...

Well... That was it I guess... hope some of you guys can help me out ;)...

ThanX

Torben.

OP
N

nicholas

Well my roomate, among his several computers, owns the 15.2" Ti PB that had the 667Mhz G4. Cracking paint? Yes, slightly. The hinges seem a tad flimsy, but I don't think they'd break unless you really treated your poor laptop cruelly. As for airport, it works perfectly. The internet streams fast and furious despite being a good ways away from our base station. He does't have a superdrive so I can't comment on that part.

OP
P

pcjabber

xr600 said:
However... after surfing the web for info, I found alot of people complaining about cracking paint, broken screen hinges etc...

Well, my band teacher has a 667MHz TiBook, and yes, cracking paint is a bit of a problem, and he had one broken hinge (not sure what it was from), and they completely snapped off after he tripped over his network cable, when the PB came crashing to the floor. $700 later, he has a new case on it. No, he didn't have AppleCare.
xr600 said:
Another thing I'm considering is the Airport reception... I'm having no problems what so ever with my ibook, but somebody told me that the reception on the Ti really suck... has anyone got any hands on experience with the difference on the two ?.
not sure about this, he doesnt have the AirPort card installed.
xr600 said:
The model I'm considering has a superdrive installed... But I caan't seem to find any info on what specific format it uses ?!... I mean... I'm no expert on DVD burning at all (in fact I never tried it), so I'm a bit worried about compatibility issues...
not sure about this, he doesnt have the SuperDrive either.

--PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
xr600 said:
Hi.

As I'm currently doing alot of computer related work, I thought of replacing my trusty G4 12" ibook with a 15.2" Tibook (2. hand)... Mostly because of the larger screen size :).

My question is this : Are these problems related only to the early models of the Tibook, or does it affect the whole production line ??. I'm currently looking at a 1 Gz. model, which is supposedly the last one in production... are the above mentioned problems fixed on this model ??.

Well... That was it I guess... hope some of you guys can help me out ;)...

ThanX

Torben.
I have had an 867 TiBook for coming up on 1 year with no paint problems or monitor problems at all

My airport reception has been excellent...I am on the 3rd floor at the front of the house and get full reception from a basestation on the 1st floor back of the house

The Superdrive uses the DVD-R/-RW format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have the 667 Mhz and my paint is pretty bad, but I've been all over the world with it so it doesnt surprise me. And I get real good reception and I don't have extreme, so that would be nice..

OP
X

xr600

ThanX alot for the hands on info... semms that I'll be holding on to my ibook a while longer. I have'nt really got the guts to replace it with a machine which, not only is past warranty, but also has known problems... sigh ! ... ;)

Regards.

Torben.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.