A bit of an aux-cord is stuck inside my MacBook

Reaction score
Greetings all Mac-lovers.

So I've written here before, I've searched the web, I asked professionals (that want a lot of money) and my expert friends. Apparently no one is able to help me solve my problem at the moment.

A little bit of an aux cord is stuck inside my MacBook Pro so that my MacBook thinks that sound is going through a cord and through headphones, speakers whatever.

My question is : Is there some sound software that tricks my computer to think that there's actually nothing in the aux, so that I can play with the in-built speakers of the MacBook?

Thanks!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How deeply did you investigate the suggestion "chscag" made in your other thread?:

If you use our forum search you'll find numerous threads and ideas on how to remove a broken off headphone plug stuck in the headphone jack. One that usually works is to use super glue.

I've seen this sort of problem many times over the years…and I'm sure there has got to be a previous Mac-Forums thread with a solution.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I have tried that solution already, but I did not get it out. Instead I left some glue in there :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried that solution already, but I did not get it out. Instead I left some glue in there :(

Thanks for the info. If you try things…it always helps if tell us what you tried…and how things turned out. You didn't mention that you tried the glue idea in the other thread…and you didn't mention it here until I asked you to tell us what was up (you should have mentioned this in the first post of this thread).

The more you help us…the more we can help you.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
You're right Nick. I should have thought of that.

Can anyone help me? :)

Especially about this question about software.`?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's not so much a software issue as a mechanical one. When you plug a sound device into the headphone jack it has a little switch in it that turns off the internal speakers.
Your only options now are to use a bluetooth speaker / headphones or a USB/Thunderbolt connected speaker. In other words a speaker that works via a different output. You would then select that output source in the sound preferences panel of System Preferences.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone help me? :)

Especially about this question about software.`?

This is a bit more of a drastic measure (but not one that I wouldn't try.:) You could open the Macbook up to get access to the logic board (or remove the logic board for even better access). This will give you greater/easier access to the ports…and you may have a better chance of removing the broken piece of aux-cord. This would be the best solution of all scenarios.:)

Of course this also depends on your confidence/motivation to work on the inside of a computer & if you have the tools.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is a bit more of a drastic measure (but not one that I wouldn't try.:) You could open the Macbook up to get access to the logic board (or remove the logic board for even better access). This will give you greater/easier access to the ports…and you may have a better chance of removing the broken piece of aux-cord. This would be the best solution of all scenarios.:)

Of course this also depends on your confidence/motivation to work on the inside of a computer & if you have the tools.

- Nick

rosenild, I think Nick is correct I too think that in the end this is the only real solution to the problem, everything else is just a workaround.;)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS. iFixit have some good video instructions (model specific) for accessing the insides of a Mac. i have done a little of the leg work for you you can start here; https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac
Good luck, (I mean that) I'm sure you can do it if you have the tools.
Cheers,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.