• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A big-ish compressor for nowt!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Yesterday we had a dechetterie (tip to you lot :mrgreen: ) run and just as we were leaving I saw a nice big-ish red compressor outside the office. People leave stuff there for anyone who can use it. I was told that the woman who bought it in just said it didn't work.

So now I have a nice big-ish red compressor that runs fine, but doesn't pressurise the tank. there is slight pressure but not enough to show on the guage.

So far I have disconnected the compressor to tank pipe, lots of air flow. Swapped the tank pressure guage with my small compressor and run the small one, the guage is OK. The small machines guage in the big job still shows no pressure.

So I took the head off to have aa gander at the gubbins and found 2 reed valves, one for in and one for out. The out one was in 2 bits!! Golly gosh was my expression and I had the idea that I have a couple of sets of feeler gauges that haven't been used in years. IBM standard issue! I measured the thickness with my dial very near, some call it a vernier, 10 thou. So after I have cut a 10 thou feeler to size I fitted it and then put the head back on and tried it.

This is the head and shows both the broken bit and the new. It's 25 metric things and as near as dammit to 10 thou

The cylinder bit

Now I am the proud owner of a big-ish, 50 ltr, compressor for nowt but a bit of my time. That doesn't happen too many times for me :Cool::Cool:

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now I am the proud owner of a big-ish, 50 ltr, compressor for nowt but a bit of my time. That doesn't happen too many times for me

So John, what are you going to use that 50 liter compressor for? Spray paint? AirCon unit replacement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Gubbins? Dechetterie? Vernier?

I don't know about you Charlie but I am lost. And of course John after your repair, back tom the original owner?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
OK, I forgot that our 2 nations are seperated by a single language with many, many differences.:D;D

Gubbins = 1. an object of little or no value
2. a small device or gadget
3. odds and ends; litter or rubbish

Decheterie = rubbish tipping site, waste collection site

Vernier = The one that looks like a spanner, sorry wrench
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesso...322940?hash=item33c4eee63c:g:cEIAAOSwEzxYU09F

The original owner is a total unknown?

For general use around my workshop, spray jobs including model spraying Chas. Also good for getting dust our of impossible places and it's large enough to run air tools too. That's something I've been thinking about for a while

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also good for getting dust our of impossible places and it's large enough to run air tools too. That's something I've been thinking about for a while

I love air tools. I can remember my younger days working in the Summer at Grumman Aviation in New York putting aircraft together, we used power air tools for just about everything. Can't beat it for removing stubborn lug nuts from an automobile wheel. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
There's an criminal offence in the UK called theft by finding so it's wise here to add a note, 'free to a good home', to anything left out. I've recycled all sorts of things like this (tower music centre, step ladder, microwave) and acquired a dining table and chairs for my young cousin.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's amazing what you find sometimes. A few years ago one of my co workers lived in a semi rural area where they have to bring their trash to a collection site with what amounts to commercial trash bins where it is then picked up by the waste management company in that area.

On one of his trash runs he found a vacuum cleaner in nearly pristine condition. Being something of a handyman he decided to take it heme to see if he could get it running. If he couldn't the worse that would happen is he returns it to the trash on the next run.

Long story short the only thing wrong was that the bag used to collect/hold the dust was so full nothing else would fit. A quick trip to the store for a common type / size of vacuum bags solved the problem.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before we moved over here we had a caravan, I think it's called a trailer on the west side of the pond (son't want to confusticate anyone do I;P;P;P ) One of my mates was th emanager of a shop in town that sold propane and butane bottles and when I went in to change one of our bottles he gave me one that someone had bought in about 3/4 full. He said that the bloke was going on holiday and wanted a full bottle. So my mate sold him one. Calor, the gas company ,never gave any credit for part full bottles and just pocketed the profits so my mate just kept them to one side for me and we never had to buy gas for the next 6 or so years!

That 3/4 bottle lasted us for a lot longer than the 3 weeks we spent in France on holiday and would have been more than enough for the bloke who insisted on the new bottle. My mate tried to explain that it would be pleanty, but how can you teach someone who knows everything?

That didn't work for our house propane supply though. It would have been difficult to lug a 1000 litre tank around :Mischievous::Mischievous:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.