'A' and backspace keys not working on 2013 Macbook Air

Reaction score
I believe for as along as I've had my Macbook my 'A' and backspace keys stop working randomly. At first I ignored it but now it's really starting to bother me. They both go out at the same time and I need to sit there anywhere from a few seconds to a minute retrying to get the key to work. I've found some similar posts and there's seemed to be linked to the text to speech setting. Mine is off. I have the manufacturers warranty still but I believe it only covers hardware and I believe this is some kind of freak software thing. Nevertheless, that is why I am here. Any ideas? I'd rather not send it into apple, I'm just starting a new semester.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Create a new user account and use that account to see if it is a software or hardware issue.
If it continues in a separate user account it's likely a hardware issue and taking it in to Apple is the way to go.

OP
B
Reaction score
What to do about account specific files

I have another question about that method. Assuming that it continues to work I will still need access to the files and settings that are on the other account. Is there a simple way to access them from the new account (apart from upload/download or thumb drive) or do I have to redo everything?

Also, what do you suppose would cause something like that to happen to my keyboard (in hopes that I can avoid it in the future)?

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Sad news, the new account I created started doing the same thing. I first noticed it in Evernote and I quickly tried it in Notes after that and the problem persisted. I've also found that the 1 key also stops functioning with the a and delete. I'll try getting Apple to do something about it.

Any other ideas before I take it to them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like there may have been a slight spill on the keyboard. A 2013 keyboard would be under warranty subject of course to the 'no spill'. Macs do have a moisture indicator builtin and of course a spill voids warranty.

OP
B
Reaction score
Water Damage

Sounds like there may have been a slight spill on the keyboard.

I haven't spilt any liquid on it before. I may be guilty of occasionally having moist or sticky fingers or having a few crumbs grace the keyboard. And the only time that it hasn't been in my care is when I took it to Simply Mac for a different fix.

Is the moisture indicator something that I can look at or is it completely internal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is internal and if you take it in under warranty the technicians will check it out.

Reaction score
Hey Branhammer, I am having the exact same problem as you explained. My 'a' and 'delete' keys intermittently stop working on my 2013 MBA. I have never spilled any liquid on my computer either and I have noticed it happens most often when my laptop is on an uneven surface (i.e. my lap) instead of a flat desk.
I was wondering what you ended up doing with your laptop to fix this problem?... did you end up having to take it in to apple?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, and as Zico said, it only happens when having the macbook on my lap...

In case you still read this forum, Branhammer, did the "fix" by apple work, or did it start to happen again after some time? I am curious what's the cause of this issue.

Reaction score
I am encountering the same issue on 2013 MacBook Air. My '1','Q','A','Z', and 'Delete' keys become unresponsive. It usually occurs when I am typing the password to unlock the machine. It will eventually start working, after a few seconds to a minute. I have reinstalled OSX multiple times. I was hoping it would be magically fixed with Yosemite but no luck.

@Branhammer - did Apple indicate what they did to resolve the issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Branhammer - did Apple indicate what they did to resolve the issue?

Just a guess on my part... but I would think Apple replaced the entire keyboard as they usually do not repair them at the genius bar.

Reaction score
Same problem with keys sometimes not working

I have exctly the same problem: a, q and backspace keys stop sometimes working and start again after a short while. I got the impression that the problem strted after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10 OS. Any news on how to solve the problem? Once I have the problerm it occurs several times. Usually after a reboot the keyboard works again.

Reaction score
same here

Same here.
Except that I don't think it's a software problem. I strongly believe it's a hardware issue.
This happens when:
- laptop is on my lap
- or uneven ground
- or occasionally randomly
But I can always get the keys to work when I lift the laptop from beneath on the left side (now when I put it back down again, it may stop working).

Clearly symptoms of something which is not software related.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be a loose keyboard connector which attaches to the logic board below it. This is a common problem which is why you can tilt the machine and get it to work again. It's an easy do it yourself fix. Remove the top case and keyboard and re-attach the connector.

Procedure detailed at www.ifixit.com.

Reaction score
Thanks - will try!

Thanks, I'll try that.
I was afraid that accessing keybaord connectors on the macbook air would be too complicated. On my previous laptop, getting to the keyboard was the most complicated thing (you needed to take the whole laptop apart), so I was even more afraid on the MBA -
I'll research it on ifixit!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look for the guide on how to remove the top case. That should include getting at the keyboard connector. The guide you referenced is about removing and replacing the logic board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.