9.2 Disk Repair Apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock blackbook 10.4.8
Today a message popped up on the screen of the parents G3 iMac running 9.2 (It hasnt been updated, reformatted, ect., since the day they got it in '00 AFAIK) saying something about disk errors (I only heard about this second hand, the window had been closed when I got there), so the first thing I did was run Disk First Aid. A whole bunch of errors were detected (I can get into specifics tomorrow if necessary), but Disk First Aid couldnt correct them.

I've already backed everything up, just to be on the safe side. Now I need something that can do more then diagnose the problem. If this where Mac OS X this post wouldnt exist, I just don't know jack about Classic. Anybody know of a good disk repair program for OS 9.2? Freeware would be preferable, since spending cash on this thing seems like a waste (might as well just buy a new computer).

Thanks guys.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you zap the PRAM? Same keyboard combo as in OS X.

Other than that, your problem is that there isn't much out there for OS 9 and earlier anymore.

If you could get your hands on an old version of DiskWarrior, it might save the day. I think you'd need to look for DiskWarrior 2.x something. You'd have to do some googling to make sure of the correct version. You might get it extra cheap off of eBay or similar.

Reaction score
If you can't find an old DiskWarrior or Norton Utilities (Norton's reputation didn't collapse until OS X), and since you made a backup, you might have to reinstall the system if you have the discs.

I think 9's Software Update still works. But other stuff, such as Flash (if it's included in the install), might be older than the most recent updates that are long out of date, anyway.

If you find an old repair utility, make sure it works with 9. It might be made for 7.x or 8.x only.

Reaction score
Both Norton 3.0 and Disk Warrior 2.1 worked great on System 9 problems. Norton 3 was actually a dual boot for both 9 and OS X. Of course, having said that don't EVER use Norton on any OS X machine!

OP
trapperjohn117
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock blackbook 10.4.8
I couldnt find any old versions of Disk Warrior, so that's out. After some googling I found Symantec's compatibility list, and it looks like I need v6.0. I found a guy selling 6.0 on eBay, although he's in the UK, so I want to be sure about this before I pay to have the thing sent halfway around the world. This is the auction, what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Yup, that is the one. I was thinking of Norton System Works v3. Symantec's naming is confusing. I can't believe that is the only copy that can be found!

OP
trapperjohn117
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock blackbook 10.4.8
Awesome, thanks. Now all I have to do is win the auction!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.