3rd imac in 5 wks, sound issues docs blank

Reaction score
Hello, please help! I have an iMac 21.5 inch, 4gb, $1500 online from apple. this is the 3rd one in 5 wks. they refuse to send another and i can't disagree but something is wrong and i am left now with driving to an apple store to see a genius and the store is a 3 hour round trip.

i was told it was something in my "environment" and not the computers. BS, if someone doesn't shut them down and restart all the time they may not have noticed.

history: first one took 3 wks for me to notice but maybe because i didn't look at my pages docs or use sound, the next one 3 days and this one over night, 1 day!

one had a hard reset done and still went back to the same issue, this last one reset itself with the 2 chimes when it rebooted.

what it does, sorry for the delay! is a longer boot up and then the top bar and icons do not appear unless i click there or wait a long time, then there is NO sound icon, then when i open my docs in pages they are BLANK. if i restart, the sound is back and the docs are back, but this is not what a $1500 computer should do.

the first had nothing but the epson artisan 730 printer loaded which is what apple sells, the second couldn't find the printer and i had to download the drivers, i added the mac barrier bug protection and sugar sync cloud storage that my laptop toshiba has with no issues. same with this last one. they all had the same sound on start up in the morning and blank docs in pages issues.

anyone help?

edit: they are fine after a reboot, all docs are there and sound and sound icon, but when it happens it takes a reboot to get it all back. this is lion os 10.7.2.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello, please help! I have an iMac 21.5 inch, 4gb, $1500 online from apple. this is the 3rd one in 5 wks. they refuse to send another and i can't disagree but something is wrong and i am left now with driving to an apple store to see a genius and the store is a 3 hour round trip.

i was told it was something in my "environment" and not the computers. BS, if someone doesn't shut them down and restart all the time they may not have noticed.

history: first one took 3 wks for me to notice but maybe because i didn't look at my pages docs or use sound, the next one 3 days and this one over night, 1 day!

one had a hard reset done and still went back to the same issue, this last one reset itself with the 2 chimes when it rebooted.

what it does, sorry for the delay! is a longer boot up and then the top bar and icons do not appear unless i click there or wait a long time, then there is NO sound icon, then when i open my docs in pages they are BLANK. if i restart, the sound is back and the docs are back, but this is not what a $1500 computer should do.

the first had nothing but the epson artisan 730 printer loaded which is what apple sells, the second couldn't find the printer and i had to download the drivers, i added the mac barrier bug protection and sugar sync cloud storage that my laptop toshiba has with no issues. same with this last one. they all had the same sound on start up in the morning and blank docs in pages issues.

anyone help?

edit: they are fine after a reboot, all docs are there and sound and sound icon, but when it happens it takes a reboot to get it all back. this is lion os 10.7.2.

I am not an expert, but it sunds to me that you are fighting a compatibility issue between Lion and one of your 3rd party APPs.
Solution may have to be going back to a Windows machine or isolating which program is causing the problem and deciding if you can live without it.

OP
N
Reaction score
os lion sound pages issue

I am not an expert, but it sunds to me that you are fighting a compatibility issue between Lion and one of your 3rd party APPs.
Solution may have to be going back to a Windows machine or isolating which program is causing the problem and deciding if you can live without it.

i am sorry i can't get back to the orig title. no this has NOTHING to do with a pc vs mac, let's forget that. the first one and second had the docs copied and pasted to pages. thanks but that is not it, it is not a pc v mac issue.

now any one who knows anything out there??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I will agree with Razormac you are probably having compatibility issues with one or more of your third party apps and one of the first things I would do is disable the AV
and retest then keep going down the line till you find the culprit.

OP
N
Reaction score
I will agree with Razormac you are probably having compatibility issues with one or more of your third party apps and one of the first things I would do is disable the AV
and retest then keep going down the line till you find the culprit.

what do you consider a 3rd party app? the cloud storage? i didn't use it on the first iMac and it did the same thing.

i can try and i appreciate the advise, but it was not on the first, it's sugar sync.com, like iCloud, how can that affect the sound icon and pages docs at start up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what do you consider a 3rd party app? the cloud storage? i didn't use it on the first iMac and it did the same thing.

i can try and i appreciate the advise, but it was not on the first, it's sugar sync.com, like iCloud, how can that affect the sound icon and pages docs at start up?

I am not sure it can but when troubleshooting and this is your 3rd unit its best to look for things that are not loaded on the Mac from the factory.
Lion is relatively new and not everything is going to play nice with it I did
go to Sugar's website and it states not all functions will work in Lion but they are working on it.
You also listed an anti-virus program those are known to cause all kinds of issues on Mac's with the exception of ClamXav.
Do you have a list of apps you have downloaded beside what came on it ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Did not mean to imply it as a PC vs Mac thing BTW, only mentioned it because you referenced your Toshiba laptop as not having issues.
The first 3rd party APP I would look at would be Mac Bug Barrier; from its name I would assume it to be an Anitvirus program and those are prone to cause issues, and are generally viewed by most of us on this Forum as unneccessary to boot.
As far as what constitutes 3rd party? If it didn't come from Apple it's 3rd Party and that includes printer drivers.
Even Apple software can have issues if it uses Rossetta code which is not supported by Lion.
HTH
Razormac

EDIT: osxx obviously types faster than I do, but then again he's MoTM. The shiny badge probably helps. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
i am upset i appreciate the help, no offense meant. thanks for the info. the printer drivers are not i guess from apple but the printer the sell and the printer that the first mac and the 3rd, not the second found and downloaded on their own. it's the epson artisan 730 printer but it was off, i can't imagine that it could cause the sound card not to be recognized and my docs in pages to be blank only when the sound is gone, but my degree is not in this, ugh. thanks all i'll read some more of what you suggest, susan

OP
N
Reaction score
it is virus barrier express. the first one didn't have it, i only downloaded it free from the mac app store for the last two. the first did not have sugar sync, the last 2 did, all did the same thing, even after a hard reset.

i can see why they won't' send a 4th! i do not want a 4th, i want it to work. my brother is a PHd at CUNY and his good friends were instrumental in testing and development and i did email him too.

this sure beats talking to india, no offense we have some good indian friend but you get it and the service apple has provided has been great but there is something not right and the only thing all had was the printer but how could a turned off printer interrupt a sound card from being read and stop pages from remembering the docs?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably the best bet is to go ahead and make the appointment at the Apple Store and bring in your Mac for them to look at. I'm betting they will be able to spot where the problem is.

And you're welcome. No offense taken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this go to Applications folder click on it go to Utilities click on it bring up Disk Utility and select Macintosh HD then click on Repair Disk Permissions in second column.

OP
N
Reaction score
hi, i will save what you wrote. the senior advisor from apple is supposed to call me back. i'll wait, afraid to try anything. re: the apple store, i will find out from him how much training they have vs. what he has. if i take this in and it starts up just fine with sound and docs present, i don't think they'll know what is wrong. they will have to see it doing it and it doesn't always do it. the first one took 3 wks to do it. the only thing in common all 3 have is pages and the printer. in the first one, i copied and pasted my docs from an email. i had no cloud storage and no virus pro of any kind on it. thanks for the help.

OP
N
Reaction score
ok i'm back. came up with something that might be a possibility. one of you mentioned this and i am not sure if i had it on the first mac. it is sugar sync.com cloud storage. i know i have it on this one and i know i had it on the second however if i did put it on the first, it would have been a few weeks later as i was just getting used to the computer. that would coincide with the timing of that doing the same thing. i am thinking "sound" "documents" cloud storage. that is what it would be working on. i never checked photos so i don't know about them and i do not have any on this mac yet.

does this sound like a possibility? and since i have had pc's where i would go into programs and uninstall a program, how do i get rid of this "sugar sync" do i just drag the icon to the trash or is there something else that has to be done to uninstall it? i don't' want to but this may be it, however i really don't remember if it was on the first one as i had emailed my docs to myself and copied and pasted them to pages.

thanks! susan

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i'm back. came up with something that might be a possibility. one of you mentioned this and i am not sure if i had it on the first mac. it is sugar sync.com cloud storage. i know i have it on this one and i know i had it on the second however if i did put it on the first, it would have been a few weeks later as i was just getting used to the computer. that would coincide with the timing of that doing the same thing. i am thinking "sound" "documents" cloud storage. that is what it would be working on. i never checked photos so i don't know about them and i do not have any on this mac yet.

does this sound like a possibility? and since i have had pc's where i would go into programs and uninstall a program, how do i get rid of this "sugar sync" do i just drag the icon to the trash or is there something else that has to be done to uninstall it? i don't' want to but this may be it, however i really don't remember if it was on the first one as i had emailed my docs to myself and copied and pasted them to pages.

thanks! susan

Start at the third post in this thread for info on uninstalling programs.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/251468-installing-uninstalling-applications.html

Definitely could be Sugar sync. Have been quite a few compatibility problems between Lion and 3rd party software, and sometimes it takes a while (if ever) for the 3rd party developer to catch and correct the problems.

OP
N
Reaction score
ok is there a cloud storage for the iMac that is compatible? i don't yet have an iPhone so i guess iCloud isn't it.

thanks will follow the instructions.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok is there a cloud storage for the iMac that is compatible? i don't yet have an iPhone so i guess iCloud isn't it.

thanks will follow the instructions.

I don't use any of them except iCloud, but haven't heard of any problems with DropBox.

FWIW I don't believe you have to have an iPhone to use iCloud, just a Mac running Lion.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks. when i asked apple care they said iCloud was not for what i just described. you probably know better! i will ask the senior advisor now and look back into dropbox.

trying to read now how to uninstall sugar sync. thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.