30-pin connector - does Apple use the same pinout as for Android devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
I don't know whether I'm posting this in exactly the right section of the forum, so bear with me...

I need to buy a new USB charging/data cable for my old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android tablet. It uses the old 22mm wide 30-pin connector. I've seen a lot of cheap and nasty ones online, but this critter rather caught my attention - I particularly like those decent-looking cable strain reliefs:

Amazon listing

The problem is, it advertises itself as being Apple-specific. Certainly no mention of Android compatibility anywhere. Does anyone here know whether Apple used a proprietary pinout on these 30-pin plugs, or are they just industry standard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The problem is, it advertises itself as being Apple-specific. Certainly no mention of Android compatibility anywhere. Does anyone here know whether Apple used a proprietary pinout on these 30-pin plugs, or are they just industry standard?

Why bother with mucking about and seeking strange compatibility requests rather than just going to the door and opening it with a proper Google search to get the right product:

A quick Google search for what you need provides all kinds of hits:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07J6699YB/

And the first hit produces a pretty nice cable at a decent price which is also available and it looks like with interlocking connections:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07J6699YB/

I would think that a cable that is described as "Apple-specific" is exactly what it is... an Apple-specific device cable for a specific Apple device. It ain't going to fit or be compatible with no Android device... I would even put money on that if I was going to make a bet... But why even bother...

Sheese...!!!

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No, that cable will not work for the Samsung device. Those cables are device specific since it's not following standards like USB.

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.