27" retina IMac 2GB VS 4GB graphic cards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
HI all,
I'm looking to get the new 27" Retina IMac but i'm not sure if the graphic card upgrade is needed. Could someone give me the pros and cons of the 2 graphic cards available so I might make an informed purchase?
I currently have the 27" IMac (2013) build with 16 GB ram 3.5ghz I7 and the upgraded 4GB graphic card by Nvidia, I bought a month ago and the store has agreed to allow me to exchange it for the new one since I just made the purchase before the 5K announcement.
Thanks for your help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends what you're going to use the computer for. If you "need" a 5K retina iMac for your business or special purposes like graphic design, then order the 4 GB card. Otherwise go with the standard card. Only you can make that decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag says, if you do graphics commercially and use Quark etc by all means go with the (much) dearer option. If only for browsing and gaming give it a miss. Mind you the standard card at 2GB is pretty good when you consider the 128MB and 256MB cards of only a couple of years ago. Mid 2011 iMacs came with 512MB.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
I just purchased the new computer because my 20" IMac (2008) was to slow for the GOPRO I just bought to film my grandkids. I'm a computer novice in many respects but I wanted the best playback for new videos so I got the upgrade graphics card. Now i'm wondering if I will really need it when I make the exchange I was lucky to get.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, you won't need the 4 GB video card for that. The new 5K retina iMac has plenty of power with the standard card for playing back videos and much more.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for your advice. I will not get the upgraded graphics card when I make the exchange. That will more than pay for the AppleCare which I will need for sure. (novice)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just purchased the new computer because my 20" IMac (2008) was to slow for the GOPRO I just bought to film my grandkids. I'm a computer novice in many respects but I wanted the best playback for new videos so I got the upgrade graphics card. Now i'm wondering if I will really need it when I make the exchange I was lucky to get.

To be honest (if you are talking about exchanging the computer)…for the computer tasks you mentioned…you would be fine with a lot lot less computer. No way you need the new 27" retina iMac.

I mean of course get it if that's what you want.:) But you don't NEED this much computer for viewing videos. Any low-end computer Apple sells would do this just fine.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.