250GB of storage lost, after deleting Windows Partition on Macbook

Reaction score
After deleting the windows partition (bootcamp) on my Macbook sierra version: 10.12.6, 250GB of storage was lost, and i cannot reclaim it.
I also wiped my Macbook, and reinstalled Sierra under OS X Base System.
Please help me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you delete the Windows partition? Did you use the boot camp assistant to delete it or did you use Disk Utility? The boot camp assistant is the proper way to remove a Windows partition and reclaim it back to your Macintosh HD.

If you erased your MacBook hard drive and then reformatted it as one partition, you should have all of your space back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In order to get your missing space back, you are going to need to create a bootable USB installer. You need to boot from a different drive, to format the internal drive and make it one single partition. Then you can install the macOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Doing what ferrari suggested will wipe the drive out, so do a backup of your files before you do that.

The lesson to be learned here is that Bootcamp must remove Bootcamp partitions.

OP
C
Reaction score
How did you delete the Windows partition? Did you use the boot camp assistant to delete it or did you use Disk Utility? The boot camp assistant is the proper way to remove a Windows partition and reclaim it back to your Macintosh HD.

If you erased your MacBook hard drive and then reformatted it as one partition, you should have all of your space back.

Hi sorry for not replying in a while, as i though i wouldn't get any replies. I deleted Windows using Disk Utility.
How do i reformat my hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will need to start up from a different disk. You can create a bootable USB installer, following this procedure, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372. You will need to download your OS from the App Store, if it’s not already in your Applications folder. It would be something like Install OS X Yosemite, or Install macOS Sierra, if it’s not there, you can redownload it from your Purchased page in the App Store.

OP
C
Reaction score
You will need to start up from a different disk. You can create a bootable USB installer, following this procedure, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372. You will need to download your OS from the App Store, if it’s not already in your Applications folder. It would be something like Install OS X Yosemite, or Install macOS Sierra, if it’s not there, you can redownload it from your Purchased page in the App Store.

Hi, forget about my other comment, i got the bootable drive, and when i boot into it, it just shows a white circle with a diagonal line. How do i fix? I read online that it means there is nowhere to boot. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.