20in imac screen problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
My imac has recently started playing up and I wonder if anyone can suggest a reason.

It's an intermittent fault where the screen just goes black after a few minutes use meaning I have to power off and restart. The screen could then be fine again for hours or the same problem occurs again.

Then this morning after a couple of minutes normal use, the screen displayed a series of vertical lines (like an old pair of pyjamas!) with 2 1in square areas of pixelation.

My mac isn't 3 years old yet (with no apple cover though) so I really don't want to think I'll have to replace it. Anyone got any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to run an experiment to see if it's related to the iMac's monitor or the graphics card. (It could be either)

Hook an external monitor to your iMac (or a TV if you have no other monitor) and observe it. If the same problem occurs with the external monitor hooked up, the graphics card (chipset) within your iMac may be at fault. If the external monitor is OK (no symptoms), then it may be related to the iMac display itself.

Either way the repair is going to be expensive especially since you're out of warranty. The graphics chipset is located on the logic board which means the entire board would have to be changed out. ££ A new display would likewise cost. I can't quote how much since you're in the UK and I have no idea of prices there.

Regards.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks for the reply.

This problem only occurs when I use Safari. Could it be a software problem? Could it be that Safari is putting a lot of strain on the graphics card or display?

It's the strangest thing!!:Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, that is strange. If it only happens when using Safari, perhaps you can try using another browser to see if the same thing occurs.

Try using Firefox or Opera and let us know.

Regards.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been using Firefox for 4 days with no problem.

Mysterious or what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.