2014 screen sometimes works

Kevbrim

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. I have 2014 Macbook Pro 13" Retina. Recently my display as stopped working correctly and I am stumped. So here is my typical day right now.

Boot up my laptop and plug it into an external monitor so that I can work. (Laptop screen is black, no backlight)
At some point during the day, usually hours latter, the laptop display will randomly turn on. I can work with it as long as I want to and it will work properly. There is no common trigger to this happening, it just turns on.
BUT, if I make any adjustments it will turn off and not come back on for some random amount of time again.
Examples of things that will turn it off. 1. Close the lid and reopen. 2. Disconnect the HDMI cable to the external monitor. 3. Make any adjustment to screen mirroring. I.E. Turn if off, change to use as separate display, change which display is being mirrored. etc.

I have opened up the case, disconnected and reseated the display cable with no change. Pins all looked pretty good.
I've done all the normal problem shooting steps like resetting NVRAM and SMC.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.