2013 iMac with four accounts...cannot remember any of the passwords :(

Reaction score
And I hope this doesn't make it worse, a relative put Boot Camp on it a while back so it automatically loads Windows 10.

Well I'd like to completely reset this and use ONLY macOS.

If there is a way, please divulge. I've reached an impasse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. Your title of the thread and your post didn't make sense to me, sorry. What is the problem? Passwords or Boot Camp? If you cannot log in because of the passwords, you may have to take seriously drastic measures to try to recover that Mac to full service. But let us know what the real issue is and we'll see what we can suggest.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you cannot remember, obtain or reset any of the passwords the only option is to totally erase the Hard Drive (HD) using a bootable source running a compatible macOS.
As this is a 2013 iMac a compatible macOS would be macOS Catalina. You can update from there but at least it will be APFS format which began with Catalina.
It is possible to create a bootable macOS Installer of Catalina on a USB Thumb Drive using the macOS Catalina Installer from the Apple App Store and free software on another Mac computer.
Then it is simply a matter of booting your iMac holding the Option key, chose the USB Thumb Drive from the Startup options then erase the HD and run the Installer.
The fly in the ointment here is the Windows partition. I am not sure if the bootable macOS Installer will be able to erase the Windows partition along with the macOS or if the newly installed macOS will be able to use Boot Camp to erase a pre existing Windows once set up. My gut feeling is the latter should be possible but it's outside my experience to say for sure.
Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Obviously the best choice would be to obtain one of the passwords, perhaps from the relative who installed Windows?

OP
A
Reaction score
If you cannot remember, obtain or reset any of the passwords the only option is to totally erase the Hard Drive (HD) using a bootable source running a compatible macOS.
As this is a 2013 iMac a compatible macOS would be macOS Catalina. You can update from there but at least it will be APFS format which began with Catalina.
It is possible to create a bootable macOS Installer of Catalina on a USB Thumb Drive using the macOS Catalina Installer from the Apple App Store and free software on another Mac computer.
Then it is simply a matter of booting your iMac holding the Option key, chose the USB Thumb Drive from the Startup options then erase the HD and run the Installer.
The fly in the ointment here is the Windows partition. I am not sure if the bootable macOS Installer will be able to erase the Windows partition along with the macOS or if the newly installed macOS will be able to use Boot Camp to erase a pre existing Windows once set up. My gut feeling is the latter should be possible but it's outside my experience to say for sure.
Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

I want to try this erasure with a thumb drive. Do you happen to know if it's possible to create what I need on a Windows computer? I don't have another mac.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly, I dont thtink so. Maybe someone else can give you a definitive answer but the filing system is completely different and to create a bootable macOS installer you need to format the USB in MacOS download the macOS installer from the Apple App Store and modify it using a third party Mac application. I really doubt if thats possible on Windows.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 5.50.18 pm.png

Your best (and easiest) bet would be to buy a Bootable macOS installer on a Thumb Drive online from say eBay. You will find they are readily available in a range of Mac Operating Systems. I found several on the Aust eBay site such as the one above:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.