2012 MBP erase and reinstall Sierra

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've just bought a new MPB so am offloading my mid 2012 MBP with 750 flash drive, 16gb etc etc.

I came to the point where I've erased the disk via disk utility and now want to re-install OS X. I got through the process only to be told that 'this item is temporarily unavailable, please try later'. Its been like that for hours so I have my suspicions.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or does anyone have a fix?

Thank you
Steve

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
macOS High Sierra is the only available version of macOS on the App Store. Sierra isn't showing up in the Purchased section for most of us either, so where and how are you downloading Sierra again?

OP
J
Reaction score
macOS High Sierra is the only available version of macOS on the App Store. Sierra isn't showing up in the Purchased section for most of us either, so where and how are you downloading Sierra again?

I'm just doing it through the command R, disk utility, re-install Mac OS. I assume that its connected to the App Store because I had to give my log in etc.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh gotcha, the recovery console. That should work. A new version of iOS was released today, so the servers are likely overwhelmed from the billions of iOS devices updating. You might want to try again later or wait for a day or two..

OP
J
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha, the recovery console. That should work. A new version of iOS was released today, so the servers are likely overwhelmed from the billions of iOS devices updating. You might want to try again later or wait for a day or two..

Ah right! I was going to suggest if I download High Sierra to my new MBP so that it is in my purchased items, maybe it would load it up then. But as it is, I'll wait a day or so. Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ironically, neither macOS Sierra or High Sierra show up in the Purchased section. I only see OS X El Capitan on my list even though I "purchased" Sierra and High Sierra on my account for my 2009 iMac..not sure why that changed and if that's how its going to be going forward meaning the recovery console is the ONLY way to get a copy of the OS you are currently running. But if you buy a brand new drive and want to do a fresh install, you can't grab the installer and make a USB installer from it anymore..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It seems Apple has done away with storing your purchases, it's up to everyone make sure they download macOS versions as they need them. If you have a backup system in place, the files should be there, I know they are on my Time Machine backup. On the day High Sierra was released, I downloaded the final version of Sierra, so I could update and make my bootable USB installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi Guys

I've just bought a new MPB so am offloading my mid 2012 MBP with 750 flash drive, 16gb etc etc.

I came to the point where I've erased the disk via disk utility and now want to re-install OS X. I got through the process only to be told that 'this item is temporarily unavailable, please try later'. Its been like that for hours so I have my suspicions.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or does anyone have a fix?

Thank you
Steve
You may need to do Internet Recovery and install Lion or Mountain Lion, whichever version of Mac OS X your MBP shipped with.

OP
J
Reaction score
You may need to do Internet Recovery and install Lion or Mountain Lion, whichever version of Mac OS X your MBP shipped with.

Thing is, I have been using internet recovery and it doesn't give the option of which OS to install, it says Sierra, but then says this item is currently unavailable, please try later. Even at 05.50 UK time when the servers surely aren't that busy, its the same!

OP
J
Reaction score
Broken internet recovery!

I have posted in Notebook section of this forum. Just trying to confirm if Apple's internet recovery is broken? I bought a new MBP and am selling my mid 2012 one. I erased the old MBP via Command R (Internet Recovery) and then went to re-install Sierra. All goes well - log into my account and system comes back with "This item is temporarily unavailable, please try later." This was last night and again this morning. I know there has been a new release of iOS and servers have been busy. But there is also the fact that the 'purchases' of OSX have stopped appearing in users purchased lists. So, is something broken and are Apple even aware?

I wish someone would try Internet Recovery via Command R and confirm or deny this. But DONT DO IT because now I have a perfectly good but sick Mac I can't install Sierra on. Or High Sierra, or any version of OS X.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not how to access Internet Recovery Mode. The correct way is to hold down Command Option R as soon as you hear the boot chime. Keep holding those keys down until you see the spinning globe. From there it may take quite a while to load the original macOS version that came with your machine. You need to be patient.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wish someone would try Internet Recovery via Command R and confirm or deny this.

Internet Recovery via key strokes is actually the 3-key-combo of Option + Command + R. And under certain conditions Internet Recovery will kick-in on its own. The 2-key combo of Command + R is for the recovery partition on the computers internal storage (HD, SSD, or flash storage).

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, ok. I did the Command R off an instruction sheet at Apple. It takes you to the options, disk utility, erase disk, re-install OS etc etc. But I have tried it the Command Option R way. But that just brings up another issue. You have to log on to the internet. But my network isn't listed even though the MBP is sat right next to the router, more or less. And when I try to type in my network I dont get any further than that. I cannot even put in a password. I wonder should I plug in a network lead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean your network isn't listed? How are you replying to these forums then? Use an ethernet connection between your router and Mac. Then you won't have to worry about WiFi dropouts or entering a password.

OP
J
Reaction score
What do you mean your network isn't listed? How are you replying to these forums then? Use an ethernet connection between your router and Mac. Then you won't have to worry about WiFi dropouts or entering a password.

LOL yeah. I plugged a network lead in - although lucky I had a network to usb adapter lead because the mid 2012 MBP did away with a network socket. High Sierra is now installing on the old MBP and I am replying to this on the new one. My life is wayyyyyy too complicated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, it sounds like you have things going well. Don't forget to update your personal profile so we will know what hardware you have and can better respond to your questions. Let us know if you need any more help. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both of your threads on the same subject have been combined here. Let's keep this all together as one thread. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.