2012 MacBook Pro will not start!

Reaction score
I will try to provide as much information so that hopefully someone out there can help me out!

My current OS version is Yosemite.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and currently it is not working. I was using it this morning when a graphical error froze my computer. The screen was split and the beach ball appeared which led to the computer being completely frozen. I turned the computer off and restarted it. I got to the load screen, logged in, then got back to my desktop but the computer was not working properly. The screen was split and there was some strange graphical stuff going on. This is what leads me to believe that it is a hardware problem. When I tried to restart the computer again, I got to the log in screen, logged in, and the progress bar appeared. Then after about a minute or so the computer just shut off. At this point I tried to load the disk recovery menu from the start up screen. The progress bar appeared but then, again, after about a minute the computer screen went blank then shut off again. I tried booting it in safe mode to no avail. At this point I'm at a complete loss.

If anyone thinks I need to add any information to help my problem please let me know. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it into a Genius Bar. Some models have extended warranty for failed gfx cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.