2012 13" Macbook Keyboard Trackpad Inop

Reaction score
I have a 2012 13" MBP (non retina) that had water spilled on the counter that pooled around it and some seeped into the bottom (don't ask how). I have taken it apart, cleaned it with alcohol, baked it to ensure it is dry and now almost everything works.

The odd thing is that the keyboard and trackpad will work during system boot to, say, reset PRAM or boot into safe mode or select any other combination; however, when the system boots into the OS (or recovery mode, etc) the keyboard and trackpad stop working all together. I can connect an external mouse and keyboard and it works fine...I installed a fresh HDD with a fresh copy of Yosemite and still have the same symptoms.

I doubt it's a hardware related issue since they both work on startup, but for the life of me I can't locate the issue that prevents them from working. I have turned off BT, reset PRAM and SMC, reset by holding power button in for a long time after shut down, all with the same results.

I also replaced the top case (new keyboard/trackpad) and have the same results....

What's interesting is if I keep pressing caps lock while the system is booting (press once per second) the keyboard and mouse will work after boot, but then stop after a minute...which is some progress I guess. I am going to try and reinstall the OS one more time and see if that makes a difference....I have reached the end of google and am out of ideas....anyone have any thoughts they would like to share? I may also make an appt with the apple store and see if the geniuses can get me pointed in the right direction (or they may just say replace the logic board).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums and hard luck.

Only idea is to invest in a new outfit (keyboard and trackpad) alas. Water + electronics = death all too often. If they ain't working they will probably never work properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated above that you doubt it's a hardware problem. Spills almost always result in some kind of a hardware problem. Be realistic... how could a spill cause a software problem? Water likely shorted something on your Logic board which very likely the Apple genius bar will tell you needs to be replaced. Anyway, good luck with your trip to the Apple store and keep us posted with the results.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I installed a fresh HDD with a fresh copy of Yosemite and still have the same symptoms.

By doing this you eliminated the possibility of it being a software issue. It's most definitely a hardware thing. And hardware thing due to the liquid spill.

VERY easy logic. Everything worked before the spill…now everything does not work after the spill (hardware problem).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.