2011 27 inch iMac compatability

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
I have an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with a 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB graphics card. The card died and instead of replacing (or baking) it, I want to upgrade it and while I'm in there I'd also like to upgrade the CPU and I will be adding an SSD. So my question is, what is the best CPU and the best GPU that I can swap in. Also, the RAM is already maxed (16 GB 1333 MHz).

Thanks in advance,
Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I know the GPU in that iMac can be replaced but are you sure the CPU can likewise be replaced. Is it socketed? According to specs and the latest from Mactracker, your 2011 27" iMac can accept up to 32GB of memory. Also finding a better GPU (more memory and faster) is going to be expensive. Have you looked into how much your proposed upgrades are going to cost?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
I've read that they can handle 32GB of memory even though the apple website only says 16. I might upgrade that in the future but for now, 16 is enough for me. Yes, the CPU is socketed and can be replaced. I know the GPU will be expensive, I've browsed eBay already for similar cards and the same card. The same card would be about 100 dollars and I'm willing to spend an extra 100 or 150, maybe even an extra 200. I'm also not looking for anything SUPER fancy just better than 512MB lol. My dad's has an 8GB card which I'm pretty sure this old computer could definitely not take. I'm thinking of a card with 2-4GB maybe. I don't know what this computer can take, which of course is why I started this thread.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, okay. Sounds like a nice project then. I know that you can find a faster GPU card with more memory on eBay as some of our other members have already reported to us. The CPU swap may entail more than just replacing it - such as maybe a firmware update? Sorry I can't be of more help with that but I know there are probably lots of good information out there on how to do those upgrades. Keep us posted on your progress with the project. I know that some of our other members and future members would like to have whatever information you can provide.

By the way, these are the GPU cards your iMac can take:
[h=2]
Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6770M or Radeon HD 6970MGraphics Memory512 MB GDDR5 (Radeon HD 6770M) 1 or 2 GB GDDR5 (Radeon HD 6970M)
B[/h]The above infomation taken from Mactracker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry I can't be of more help with that but I know there are probably lots of good information out there on how to do those upgrades.

I don't know if they still do, but there used to be all kinds of such Mac upgrade and computability information provided at:
Apple/Mac/OS X News, Tips and Tech Articles - xlr8yourmac.com

We have the same iMac models but I didn't know they were so upgradable, but I don't really need to or have any reason to do so.

- Patrick
======

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
Thanks for reply on best GPU, does anyone know the best CPU i can swap in?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for reply on best GPU, does anyone know the best CPU i can swap in?

I would probably stick with the CPUs that Apple originally provided in that model:

MC813LL/A (2.7 GHz), MC814LL/A (3.1 GHz)

I'm sure there may be other CPUs that could be used. But like Patrick provided above, you may have to research that site and others.

Don't forget to inquire if a firmware update will be needed as that might make the difference in what CPU you can use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
Sorry for the late reply but I just found out a lot of information. I was completely wrong about whats in this computer. I always assumed it was the same as my other 2011 iMac but its not... It DOES have only 16GB but, its got the i7 and its got the 2GB card. The card was dead so I tried the bake thing where you put it in the oven and it worked. Now I'm not sure how long it will last before I have to buy another 2GB card which is double the 512MB card.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for letting us know. I watched the baking process being done on a YouTube Video by a guy who obviously had done it numerous times. Lots of work getting at that GPU card, not for someone who has little or no experience.

BTW, that baking process can last for several years or several months. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How long the baking procedure will last probably has to do with how hard the video card is pushed?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
Yeah, I read that the GPU's second life span depends on usage, which is unfortunate for me because I will definitely be pushing it. (Graphic Design elements and Video editing) As of right now, it works totally fine with no issues. You're right it is quite a bit of work, however, it did save me about 200 dollars and I figured it out pretty easily, I do have decent experience with dissembling computers. I also installed a fan control application and I have the ODD fan (which cools the graphics card) amped up a little bit to keep it on the cooler side. I have the CPU and GPU temps in my menu bar so I can monitor them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The biggest problem with those graphic cards and why they have to be baked to get them working again, is the unleaded solder that was used. Unleaded solder may be environmentally safer, but its holding ability is not as good as the old fashioned leaded solder that was used back some years ago. I still have several spools of leaded solder from several of the jobs I worked at years ago before I retired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unleaded solder may be environmentally safer, but its holding ability is not as good as the old fashioned leaded solder that was used back some years ago.

I still don't understand why it was forced to be used on the innards of computers, and apparently the military is exempt as their equipment needs to be reliable, but what normal user is going to be exposed to any lead on the innards of their computer???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, Patrick, Patrick, there you go again with logic!

I suspect it was an environmental decision where the assembly plants might have been releasing lead into the environment through ventilation or some such.

But I agree, totally meaningless in the big picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect it was an environmental decision where the assembly plants might have been releasing lead into the environment through ventilation or some such.

Actually you can blame the European Union who dictated the new rules regarding lead, especially as it applied to Europe and any imports, but it seems everybody adopted it except for the military that was exempt from the use of lead in their equipment. I guess lead bullets were already an exemption!!! :Smirk:

There is one minor detail as an older article outlines that still hasn't changed:
Great, so the E.U. admits there is no reliable substitute. Yet, they require use of a substitute.
Rollback the Lead-Free Initiative
Rollback the Lead-Free Initiative

So until some big influences stop rolling over and playing dead Regarding Lead use, we'll be stuck with the lousy poor substitutes, regardless of where it is used. Even inside a machine or electronic device or computer.

But I guess doing so can save a young Asian or poor country child's or even adult's life who spends their day over an open fire melting away the components and breathing the fumes from the heated electrical devices dumped in their landfills in order to claim some small precious metals or whatever usable parts they can find to sell.

- Patrick
======

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
Yeah I don't know why they had to that. So, another question, if, more like when, this card breaks again, could I just bake it again and again, will it slowly get less reliable or can I just keep baking this thing for the next 4 or 5 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yeah I don't know why they had to that. So, another question, if, more like when, this card breaks again, could I just bake it again and again, will it slowly get less reliable or can I just keep baking this thing for the next 4 or 5 years?
You might be able to do that. Keep updating this thread each time you do it. I think most Mac-Forums users, upgrade Macs more frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi nick1991

you can bake the card again but over time it will eventually fail.

but saying that I have baked my 2011 iMac 27 GPU 4 years ago and its still going strong today,

I use it for photo editing and YouTube clips.

so you should be fine for a while the minimum time id bake the card for tho is 10mins no longer and no less.

let us know how you get on :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27 inch iMac
Alright, thanks. I baked mine for 8 minutes so we'll see how long it lasts. So far so good, I'll update!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.