2011 13" MacBook Pro going bad?

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a situation on my hands... I have the computer as stated above, however it is hooked up to my 27" Apple Cinema display (non Thunderbolt) so I basically use it like a desktop and it has been used like this most of it's life, guess I thought I'd be lugging that brick laptop around more... anyways just recently the performance has just been so sluggish; for example, the machine just struggles to have final cut open and watch a youtube video at the same time. Also some applications as simple as Notes takes forever to open... the performance is just terrible. Been this way for 1-2 years now, it's really sad. could it be because the laptop is trying to drive the display? or is it just getting old now? also sometimes when I wake the computer the lock screen is all pixelated like the video card is going, I have a pic below. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Matey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Been this way for 1-2 years now, it's really sad. could it be because the laptop is trying to drive the display? or is it just getting old now? also sometimes when I wake the computer the lock screen is all pixelated like the video card is going, I have a pic below. Thoughts, suggestions?

If we were just talking about some performance issues (perceived slowness)...I think that there could be some stuff for us to look into. But looking at your photo...this siuation is much more serious. Could be the graphics hardware going or gone bad...or maybe an overheating issue. It's most likely not a problem of the computer trying to drive the display.

Are the MacBooks fan/fans sounding really loud (high rpms)?

If so...maybe the inside of the computer is dirty...blocking cool air flow...or maybe the fan is not operating properly. This is a long shot idea to explain the graphics situation...but worth looking into before completely calling this computer a goner!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.