2009 white macbook 13 inch screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
I have been away and the macbook has been in a cold place but when I returned I tried to power up my MacBook but it seems to not want to power up the green light is showing on the charger , am I right in thinking I need a new battery ! , if so can anyone recommend a good source in the uk please

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your Macbook's battery has been charging for a while…and it still hasn't charged up even a little…then yes I would say you need a new battery.

As to where to purchase a new battery. It depends on what 2009 MacBook you have. There were two versions released in 2009. One with a easily user replaceable battery…and one with a less-easy to access battery.

Of course you could get one from Apple (the easily replaceable type) like this:

Rechargeable Battery - 13-inch MacBook (White) - Apple Store (UK)

…but you may find that spending £109.00 for it a bit expensive for a 6 year-old computer (maybe…maybe not).

If it's the "technically" non-user replaceable battery. These are not as easy to find…especially if you want a suppler inside the UK. eBay would probably be my first suggestion for either battery. But if you find replacement batteries for far less £££ on ebay than Apple charges (which of course you will). Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Cheaper build quality…probably less runtime on a full charge…and possibly safety.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Drayman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
If your Macbook's battery has been charging for a while…and it still hasn't charged up even a little…then yes I would say you need a new battery.

As to where to purchase a new battery. It depends on what 2009 MacBook you have. There were two versions released in 2009. One with a easily user replaceable battery…and one with a less-easy to access battery.

Of course you could get one from Apple (the easily replaceable type) like this:

Rechargeable Battery - 13-inch MacBook (White) - Apple Store (UK)

…but you may find that spending £109.00 for it a bit expensive for a 6 year-old computer (maybe…maybe not).

If it's the "technically" non-user replaceable battery. These are not as easy to find…especially if you want a suppler inside the UK. eBay would probably be my first suggestion for either battery. But if you find replacement batteries for far less £££ on ebay than Apple charges (which of course you will). Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Cheaper build quality…probably less runtime on a full charge…and possibly safety.

HTH,

- Nick

How would I be able to find out can you assist me on this I have the receipt from apple. Shop
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would I be able to find out can you assist me on this I have the receipt from apple. Shop.

I don't understand what you're asking. Assist you with what?

- Nick

OP
Drayman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
If the battery is easier replaceable. Or non user replaceable. On the back of macbook thier is rubber mat with 6 six screws.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the battery is easier replaceable. Or non user replaceable. On the back of macbook thier is rubber mat with 6 six screws.

Yes…this is what I was going to suggest. If you flip the MacBook over…and if you don't see a little slot for a coin to turn the locking mechanism for a user removable/replaceable battery…then you have the more difficult (harder to replace and purchase) battery.

I'm not saying that it can't be done…it's just much easier to replace the "easy" battery.:) An probably something that not everyone is comfortable replacing (opening up the computer…having the right tools…etc.).

- Nick

OP
Drayman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
Yes your correct I don't have the tools to remove the rubber backing , so it looks like a trip to a shop it might be better rather than damage the MacBook for. The sake of £100 it's in mint condition works very well. Like you say their £25 on eBay but it could be more costly in the long run thanks for your advice most welcome

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes your correct I don't have the tools to remove the rubber backing , so it looks like a trip to a shop it might be better rather than damage the MacBook for. The sake of £100 it's in mint condition works very well. Like you say their £25 on eBay but it could be more costly in the long run thanks for your advice most welcome

You don't actually remove the rubber backing itself…but the rubber backing is attached to a plastic cover that is removed with a bunch of screws. I don't know your interest or expertise level…but the tools needed are not too expensive…and the battery removal procedure is not really that complicated. It's just a bit more than turning a door-knob!;)

Here's the procedure in case you wanted to attempt it (below). iFixit.com classifies the procedure as "moderate". I think that this is a bit overstated. I would classify it as easy (or at least only a 2 on a scale of 5). 1 being very easy...5 being very difficult.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+Battery+Replacement/1667

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The fact it won't power up with the charger attached is a problem. I have a 2009 White Macbook and the battery is removable. It has the round disc with a coin sized slot on it. You turn the slot with a coin and the battery drops out.

In another thread about my 2009 white macbook, I discussed the battery issues. My problem was with a new battery and it's failure to charge along with random shutting down. Resetting the SMC, as recommended by my friends here on the forum, fixed it right up.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/320129-macbook-shuts-down-random.html

But I said all that to say I ran that computer with the battery out of it to prevent it from shutting off and it worked just fine. So the fact it won't power on at all concerns me.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I said all that to say I ran that computer with the battery out of it to prevent it from shutting off and it worked just fine. So the fact it won't power on at all concerns me.

I believe the machines with a non-removable battery are designed not to power up unless the battery is in place. That's why battery removal is supposed to be done by Apple. I would like to see what ifixit says about that though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay chscag, but the model the OP says they have int the title of their post is a 2009 white macbook 13" and that is the exact model I have which is why I know it has a removable battery. If you go to ifixit, all the white macbooks have removable batteries.

I have had a 2007 also and it had a removable battery. So I guess I am confused???

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but the model the OP says they have int the title of their post is a 2009 white macbook 13"...

Lisa…there were two 2009 MacBook models. One released in January (with the user removable battery)…and one released in October with the "technically" non-user replaceable battery. OP seems to indicate they have to October, 2009 (Late 2009) Macbook (OP definitely mentioned the rubber coating on the bottom…indicative of the Late 2009 MacBook).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay confusion over. Thanks Nick

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay confusion over.

Easy to be confused on this one.:) Both because of two model releases in the same year…and a big change in the design (MacBook & Unibody MacBook).

- Nick

OP
Drayman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
Hi
I would like to thank all who advised me and helped me , I found it was not the battery in the end it was the mother board and by all accounts it was expensive , so I replaced it with a MacBook pro retina display.
Thank you to all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi
I would like to thank all who advised me and helped me , I found it was not the battery in the end it was the mother board and by all accounts it was expensive , so I replaced it with a MacBook pro retina display.
Thank you to all

Excellent choice. Be sure to post when you get it and let us know the specs. We enjoy hearing about other's new macs.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 to the nice choice. That new computer I'm sure kicks the 2009 MacBook's butt!;)

- Nick

OP
Drayman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
Hi
the new macbook is a pro retina 13 inch it does not have a superdrive i was undecided but the person in the mac shop shown me the difference in speed and i have to say i was impressed by the speed of the new purchase , i would like to thank all who helped me on the above issue great forum thanks again

ps advice would be good on the purchase of a superdrive external for my new new macbook tho ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.