2009 mbp15 lvds ribbon problem

Reaction score
hello all, i've been a long time peruser of mac-forums, and always found what i needed. until now...

i've got the aforementioned mbp15 from 2009. it's got an issue where the color temperature goes WAY cold when the lid is in certain positions. i've narrowed it down to a 1.5" segment of the cable, but after carefully removing the wrapping, there are approximately 12 million wires in there. probably closer to 20, but...

if i fuss with the suspect segment, i can make the screen have a pale blue hue entirely, a pale blue hue on anything OTHER than white, or look normal. i cannot figure out exactly which wire is the problem, as i can only see a difference when fussing with the entire loom.

i've connected a different mpb15 lid (with badly broken glass, otherwise i'd just swap it) and it behaves normally in all positions, so i'm positive it's the ribbon. i've got a replacement ribbon from the donor lid, but i don't think i can swap it without removing the glass, and that job TRULY tries my patience.

my question: does anybody have a wiring diagram for this ribbon, or know which wires are responsible for luminance and color? if push comes to shove, i will replace 2 inches of each wire, try to make tiny solders, and pray like heck it fits back in it's space. i'd rather only go after the problem wires.

suggestions? i'd really prefer not to remove the glass to swap the ribbon, and i'd also prefer not to splice every wire.

thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to post something…just so you don't think lots of folks are reading & not replying.;)

I'm thinking that the chances of someone having a wiring diagram for the video cable are slim. And like you mentioned…removing the display glass is a pain.

If both options were of equal difficulty (remove display glass or splice all the wires)…then the right thing to do would be replace the whole cable (which means removing the display glass).

But…if you are very very very very very lucky…someone will have a wiring diagram. But then again…this also assumes that you've correctly identified that you need to work on just the wires that control luminance and color. If this was not correct…you may end up splicing a bunch or all of the wires anyway.

And finally. Even if you know which exact wires to splice…how do you know that the break in the wires isn't inside the display area where you cannot reach??

So again…probably best to replace the old bad cable with the different working cable.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
sigh, if that were only the path of least resistance...

while this mbp screen removal is not as difficult as a retina model, i'm still not confident it'll come out without damaging the glass. and damaging the glass has a nasty habit of scratching/scuffing the actual lcd.

i couldn't agree more that replacing the ribbon is the ideal solution. it's so frustrating having this ribbon in one hand, and a mac that needs it in the other... but being unable to swap without some seriously invasive surgery.

considering having to order a new glass and all of the time that would entail, i assume i'll start blindly splicing first. heck, the cable's already bad. if i have to escalate, i suppose i will, but believe me when i say i REALLY don't want to.

i'll continue my googling and wait patiently here, and then i suppose get my splice on. i've got a 4" run where i can easily stagger my solders on the screen side, but it'll be a tight fit by the DC in board.

good luck me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
while this mbp screen removal is not as difficult as a retina model, i'm still not confident it'll come out without damaging the glass.

I don't know if you're familiar with the website ifixit.com. But they have lots of repair procedures with lots of photos. I checked...and they definitely have a procedure for the removal of the display glass for your 2009 MBP.

Check it out...and see if it gives you a confidence boost to give it a shot!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.