2009 Macbook Penryl Black not powering on, no fan spinning, light not turning on. HELP

S N

Reaction score
I've got a black 2.4ghz a1181 macbook. Its bezel, keyboard and battery had previously been replaced. It's been left a few years and now doesn't turn on at all!

Battery doesn't charge, light at the front doesn't light up and no fans spin at all. When mains is plugged in it goes from green to orange meaning that its trying to charge the battery but it doesn't.

Any advice on what to try?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It could be that the battery has gone flat and may have to be replaced. It could also be a bad DC input power board. But quite frankly, spending money on a MacBook that's going on 11 years old is something that you really need to think about. ;)

OP
S

S N

Reaction score
Battery was replaced so shouldn't be flat again hopefully, if it is the DC input board is there a way to test it? Maybe with a multimeter or something?

I'm aware its an old mac, but its not something I'd be willing to give up on without a fight

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pretty much useless trying to test the DC input board with a VOM as its input is to the Logic board and controls the charge rate. About the only way to test it is by substitution with a known good board. If that turns out not to solve the problem, the logic board may have failed.

And are you sure the battery is okay? Can you test it to see what the capacity is?

OP
S

S N

Reaction score
The battery has been on charge and is now full, its held its charge too without dropping so I dont think the battery is at fault

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Have you taken off the bottom cover and looked at everything?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.