2006 Macbook Pro: I Need to Transfer photos from iPad to MBP

Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member here and a relatively new mac owner. This is my first post on the forum.
I am posting here after spending some hours looking for answers online. Unfortunately, most of the suggestions I found online were related to using newer macs (and OSX such as Mavericks or Yosemite) and some were a few years old related to sw (apps) that is now not supported.

I recently purchased a 2006 MacBookPro (core two duo OSX Lion) to begin my transition from PC notebook computers to Mac. I love the Mac! :) Unfortunately, it is limited to running OSX Lion. I have a lot of sw on it. But, I cannot upgrade my OSX to Yosemite. I asked Apple Geniuses and they said I need to stay on Lion.

I also have a iPad (Retina display model) and have thousands of photos on it I want to transfer to my MBP.

I had been using iPhoto on both the iPad and the MBP to make the transfers. I set up many albums and liked using the iPhoto to show my photos to friends. It looked good and I spent a lot of time making the many albums. :)

A few days ago my iPad prompted me to update my iOS. I did so. While it was doing this it asked me to confirm I wanted to convert my iPhoto photos to Photo. I said yes. I then found out that none of the albums I had spent many hours creating were transferred when I opened up Photo. I then read about this issue online. I was disappointed that iPhoto will no longer work on my iPad. :(

But, the worst thing is that I now have thousands of photos on my iPad that are not organized as I want them to be, and many were hidden photos (not to be seen, as they are snapshots, unedited, and not my finished work). I have thousands of images that I do NOT want to be visible as it takes too long to organize them and they detract from the viewing experience. So I want to transfer about 3,000 photos FROM the iPad TO the MBP, and then I will delete them from the iPad. I do NOT want to synch those photos at all.

My MPB still has iPhoto on it. But it does NOT have Photo app on it. ??? I assume that is because iPhoto was on the mac when I bought it.

So, today I can use Photo (app) on my iPad (and I hate it) and I can still use iPhoto on my Mac, but I don't know how to transfer now. :(

I do not know what to do now. ??? I searched for Photo (the app) on my MBP but cannot find it in the applications folder.

I am not sure what to do. ??? I don't know what steps to take now to move the photos from the iPad to the Mac. Again, I am new to this and still learning so please keep the suggestions to a beginner level. :D

Please advise. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

I'm not sure I understand which Photo app you're referring to? There's iPhoto for iOS which would be on your iPad and there's iPhoto for OS X which is on your MacBook Pro. Are you using a different photo app on your iPad?

Also, you should be able to attach your iPad to the Mac via the USB cable and transfer all your photos from the iPad to your Mac. Afterward you can delete them from the iPad.

C

chas_m

Normal method to transfer photos from an iPad to iPhoto:

1. Connect iPad to computer using USB cable.
2. iPhoto launches by itself, or you might need to launch it manually
3. Import the photos from the iPad to iPhoto. They will be automatically grouped by the time they were taken.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

I'm not sure I understand which Photo app you're referring to? There's iPhoto for iOS which would be on your iPad and there's iPhoto for OS X which is on your MacBook Pro. Are you using a different photo app on your iPad?

Also, you should be able to attach your iPad to the Mac via the USB cable and transfer all your photos from the iPad to your Mac. Afterward you can delete them from the iPad.

Hi. Thanks for trying to help. :)

On the iPad the app is something I believe came installed on the iPad (an Apple app), and the icon looks like a rainbow colored flower and the app name is simply "Photos."

When I purchased the iPad, I recall seeing this app. Then the salesman at the Apple store recommended iPhoto to me (I had to purchase it). From that point forward (last 2 years) I have been using the iPhoto on iOS (on the iPad) AND the iPhoto app on my new to me, but old 2006, MacBook Pro (which came with iPhoto on it already).

I noticed another thing to add to my confusion. :D

The iPad app "Photos" shows some albums, and I see how to create them. There is an album marked "Hidden." I am not sure how to use it really. I notice that when I see the photos in the "hidden" album, they are still visible in the Camera Roll. ???

I suppose what I want to do is take off all the 'hidden" photos (I don't need them on the iPad) and make sure they are also eliminated from the Camera Roll and also will NOT be synched or backed up in the future IF they are transferred to the Mac using the iPhoto app that is still working on the Mac. ???

Sorry folks, but I am just a bit confused and hoping to sort this out, and I don't want to LOSE all thousands of photos and yet I also do NOT want them to be restored back to the iPad and I don't want them hanging on in the "recently deleted" album in Photos app either.

I am also unsure of how to go forward with using the Photos app on my iPad (assuming it will be updated with each iOS update from now on) while I cannot update my OS on my Mac beyond the LION that is now installed. ???

Any suggestions???

OP
S
Reaction score
Normal method to transfer photos from an iPad to iPhoto:

1. Connect iPad to computer using USB cable.
2. iPhoto launches by itself, or you might need to launch it manually
3. Import the photos from the iPad to iPhoto. They will be automatically grouped by the time they were taken.

Hi. Thanks for trying to help me. :)

Yes, I think I have that part down, as I was using that method earlier. But what confuses me now is how to work in the future as I will have what I suppose is a "current and uptodate" Photos app on the iPad (since I just updated my iOS) and I have an older MAC (MBP 2006) that has the iPhoto app on it but does not have the other "Photos" (iOS app) on it.

So I am confused about how to manage this now and in future. Perhaps it is not a problem, and I just think it will be. :D Remember, I am a real newbie at this. :D

Please see my reply to another helpful member earlier, as I put some more details about the apps I have available to me now on iPad and on MBP.

Thanks! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.