2006 iMac 24" White 2.16ghz Ethernet Issue

Reaction score
Sure would like some help with this issue.

My system report shows a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA Ethernet card.

Gigabit it says.

I now have Gigabit service to a new Technicolor modem.

Tech comes for install and on his newish Dell laptop, using hardwire Cat5e he shows 879 mbps.

I go into networking on my iMac and change hardware setting for Ethernet card to 1000 manual, full duplex.

I do same testing and never exceed 378 mbps. Change settings back to automatic, same thing.

Both freaking units have Gigabit cards. Same wire coming from same modem.

Any ideas WHY my iMac is such a SLOW DOG? I mean, What Is The Point of having a gigabit card if it will

not do Gigabit flow?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's 12 years old. That's the primary cause.

There are other things involved in the reported speed, such as the ability of the iMac to handle the input, that can keep the reported effective speed below what the advertised upper limit of the card may be. Now add to that the fact that although the Technicolor modem and the internal card might handle up to 1 Gigabit, at any one time the speed you get will depend on how many OTHER users are in that network. So your ISP advertises some speed, you get something less because you have to share with your neighbors. Or with anybody else in your home.

Now maybe someone else can come along an give you some setting to punch it up a bit, but in the end, it's 12 years old.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the focus. Been building these boxes for over thirty years. However I never had more than 200 mbps at my home boxes, unlike the high transfer rates we see in a Data Center using Enterprise servers.
However, your argument relies on us not having had gig service in 2006. But we had a gig card in 2006. SO either the bloody computer/gig card NEVER could do a gig OR there is something very wrong here. Like maybe the drivers used do not talk to the current modem bin files. Or something like that.
But it is hard to believe that they sold a computer in 2006 with a gig Ethernet card that would NOT do a gig back then. (Or at least close to it like 780 or 800)
So as much as I agree that the computer is old, I do not agree that it is now or was ever incapable of a gig. For me, that dog don't hunt. But many many thanks for the reply.

It's 12 years old. That's the primary cause.

There are other things involved in the reported speed, such as the ability of the iMac to handle the input, that can keep the reported effective speed below what the advertised upper limit of the card may be. Now add to that the fact that although the Technicolor modem and the internal card might handle up to 1 Gigabit, at any one time the speed you get will depend on how many OTHER users are in that network. So your ISP advertises some speed, you get something less because you have to share with your neighbors. Or with anybody else in your home.

Now maybe someone else can come along an give you some setting to punch it up a bit, but in the end, it's 12 years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.