2006 G5 imac

Reaction score
Got a new imac in 2006 and it gave up about a year and a half later and I was not about to drop $800 on a new mother board. I was also not happy.A few weeks ago I decided it might be interesting to fix it. While shopping around for a mother board I came across a fully functional and guaranteed late 2005 G5 imac. My broken machine came with 10.4..2 and the new purchase has a later version (OS only). When I try to load the software bundle from my old install disc the machine says no can do. What is the easiest way to make this work? Be nice to have word processor, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I try to load the software bundle from my old install disc the machine says no can do. What is the easiest way to make this work? Be nice to have word processor, etc.

If you're talking those gray discs that come with a computer win new (back then). Nope can't do it. Those discs are model specific.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Yup, those grey discs. What I had in mind was to reformat the HD and load the OS from my original imac and go from there. I didn't just do it because I figured there may be (who knows what) reason not to. thanx for the reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good decision. The Intel discs would not install apart from being the wrong media as system discs are extremely model speciific as Nick stated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wanted to mention that this 2006 iMac…is probably not a "G5 iMac"…but an "Intel iMac" (unless it was old stock or refurbished). The 2005 iMac would be a "G5 iMac".

If you don't know…this is VERY important. Because from an internal design standpoint…a "G5 iMac" and an "Intel iMac" are very very different.

But like I mentioned above. The gray/grey discs are model specific. So the gray discs from a 2005 iMac will not work with a 2006 iMac (and vice-versa).

The install disks you need for a "G5 iMac" are harder to find/more expensive. You would probably want an OS 10.4 or 10.5 install disc…which you pretty much would be best sourcing from eBay.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Yikes, this is great. Glad I didn't do anything rash. Got my dead mac in the garage so I'll go take a look at the processor. Shouldn't take long but first have to go to the G store. Fella's gotta eat:) Back later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Question.

Who diagnosed the motherboard problem? These early Intel models sometimes suffered from a faulty power supply. The processor from an Intel is not transferable to a PowerPC. We would have all done that lol!

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in game. This having to work for a living is the pits, should have been born rich. Maybe next time.

In answer to your question, the machine diagnosed itself. The screen went goofy then half disappeared so I ran diagnostics. That showed the graphics chip well over temperature spec. When I investigated the problem it turns out Apple had a bunch of problems with that chip. I don't know whether it was a faulty chip or inadequate heat removal or maybe even the plastic case not dumping enough heat. What I do know is that it was only a few months out of warranty and they would not address the problem unless the extended warranty was purchased at the time of sale. The only fix at the time was to replace the mother board to the tune of $800. As I said, I was real unhappy. That was my fourth mac and I had never had a problem. Not standing behind your product, within reason, is a real good way to lose customers. Like me.

Wow, must be having a senior moment. Just checked a post from 09 where I was asking for info about the display problem. Guess it was more than a few months out of warranty. Still, they knew they had a problem and the machine was registered. In my view, had they let me know I might have a problem, we could have worked something out. No, they held their corporate breath and took the low road on anyone with a problem out of warranty.

Who knows who won. I was probably responsible for a couple dozen mac sales over the years. Course, I told just as many people about my problem so maybe I cost them a bundle too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually you can do it there is a tutorial online on youtube on how to make any restore disk on powerpc macintoshes work on any machine.

https://www.youtube.com/user/adric22

here is the link to his channel look in his video tab it's there and it does work.

Because legally you own the restore disks and you can legally by law add drivers updates and even software packages to the disk.

Microsoft tried to stop nlite from doing so to windows xp disks but the courts said they own the license and the disk so you can't do anything.

OP
P
Reaction score
No clue. Think I'll run some serial numbers and see what comes up. Was going to pull the board on the old one but that 21st century heat sinc has to come off and I haven't taken the time. Thanx for the feed back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
To tell u the truth i dont even think they r worth repairing

OP
P
Reaction score
I agree but given that I paid $64 for it and it works just fine why not. I'm not going to even try to fix the one with the fried graphics chip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.