• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

2004 Keynote! 2004 Keynote! 2004 Keynote!

T

Thommy

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

Anyone watching it online right now??

I am watching it from work (on a windows 2000 machine...ughh) on a T3 line and the audio took a while to work, and the video is breaking up alot. Hello bandwidth!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not having any breaking up.. office actually looks pretty decent.. not sure if I am going to upgrade yet though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Xserve

You know.. if they can put a G5 into a 1U server, I really don't think a G5 laptop is that far off! Very exciting!

OP
T

Thommy

Ahhh.... iPod Mini

4GB
1,000 songs
.5" thick (a little bit bigger than a business card)
$249
comes in different colors - gold, blue, green, silver and pink metal
you can charge the battery from firewire or USB 2
comes with a belt clip, dock, and arm-band.

specs_header01062004.jpg

index_headerfamily01062004.jpg

iPod Mini

...what about Safari??

GarageBand looks awesome too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah that's what I am wondering.. what about Safari! :(

Now maybe I just don't understand.. but why would you buy an iPod mini that has 4GB of storage for $249 when you can get a 15GB iPod for $299, $50 more? That's with almost 4 times the amount of storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the 1984 ad looked promising, but i guess a 20th anniversary mac would cut into the 20" imac sales .. i can still hope for the superbowl, but im guessing the only ad for apple will be the pepsi one

OP
T

Thrasher

Murlyn said:
Yeah that's what I am wondering.. what about Safari! :(

Now maybe I just don't understand.. but why would you buy an iPod mini that has 4GB of storage for $249 when you can get a 15GB iPod for $299, $50 more? That's with almost 4 times the amount of storage?

Exactly what I was thinking! $50 difference?? I was prepared to go buy one at $199 but $249 just doesn't pull my wallet open. Maybe they got greedy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ya, students can get the now 15gb for $269 and the iPod minis are still over $200, theyre $229 ... should have made them $199

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either that ore they are trying to push sales of the new 15GB.. I just don't get it.. Im sure the cost is not proportional by any means, but I think they would be willing to take less of a cut for that iPod mini. *shrug* oh well.. I sold a lot of my CD's to get my iPod so I don't need to worry about it, but it's still a bit strange.

Apple is known for announcing quite a few products and upgrades several weeks after a keynote.. so you might see the 20th anniversary mac then. Hopefully we'll see a new Safari soon also. Maybe even new iPod software.. to make it even more kick butt ;)

OP
T

Thrasher

Murlyn said:
Either that ore they are trying to push sales of the new 15GB.. I just don't get it.. Im sure the cost is not proportional by any means, but I think they would be willing to take less of a cut for that iPod mini. *shrug* oh well.. I sold a lot of my CD's to get my iPod so I don't need to worry about it, but it's still a bit strange.

Apple is known for announcing quite a few products and upgrades several weeks after a keynote.. so you might see the 20th anniversary mac then. Hopefully we'll see a new Safari soon also. Maybe even new iPod software.. to make it even more kick butt ;)

Possibly a cheap tactic to drive 15GB Ipod sales? I'm buying when they drop to $199. Also, check the Mini IPOD pictures and you'll see they are not quite as sexy as the IPOD.

They don't come in white with polished back.. They are anodized alum. Still cool but at $249 it's just not very compelling.

OP
C

creat10n

i think the Jobs and the Apple marketing department are going blind again. nobody is going to spend $250 so they can play 1000 low-grade MP3s from a pastel blue iPod. maybe if they had limited-edition Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton editions they would be worth the $250...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
****. i hate when the upgrade the iPod hard drives. ive got a 10gb and i could have easily used those extra 5.

iPod mini looks pretty stupid to me but its just m opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mmmmm i do like the new iLife suite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could use the new iPod when Im working out though.. so that's a bonus, but I would be happy to use my current one also and proportionally it was a much better price than the mini :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
garageband seems like a pretty cool program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my sister just got a 10gb ipod for xmas.

we ordered it 12/7/03

does anybody know the return policy for that? if possible id like to return it and get her the iPod mini since she doesnt even have 3gb of music and likes the look of it

OP
D

dna48363

Yeah I have a question. iLife was pre-installed on my 17 inch 1.25ghz iMac when i bought it in november... do i buy the iLife '04? Or how do i upgrade?

OP
C

CMBlechar

I think that the iPod potential is not being fully exploited here. if you can get 40 gigs of hd space into something that small then where is the wireless, where is the color screen, where are the other endless possibilties that will set the iPod away from all other mp3 players. Instead of a protable iTuens it should be a protable iLife. Was the iPod really to big that they needed to make a mini one? I know that mine just weighs down my pocket. I rather dissapointed in this move of an iPod mini. I can assure that I'll still be waiting for an iPod with more than just mp3 storage. Till then my first generaton 10 gig will work just fine with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dna48363 said:
Yeah I have a question. iLife was pre-installed on my 17 inch 1.25ghz iMac when i bought it in november... do i buy the iLife '04? Or how do i upgrade?

you would have to buy the new one. The only reason you would need to buy it is if you want to get garageband. the rest of them are already on your computer and you can update them using the system update tool

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.