2 problems??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I am trying to help my brother over the phone. Mac support guy was rude and no help.
My brother is illiterate when it comes to computers.
So this is what he presents to me. He was using his 2014 iMac not sure what OS he is using but I suspect it is Big Sur as he has automatic upgrades.
So his mouse died. He then called Apple Support and the guy told him to reboot his computer. What Apple Support failed to do was check the mouse to see if it was sending a single. So the mouse is dead no blinking green light even after new batteries.
But then after restarting the computer there is no window for him to sign in. It just has his name and nothing below it. The cursor is stuck in the upper left hand corner.
He went out and bought a Logitech wireless mouse at Walmart and then called me.
So I was going to have him use the keyboard to operate the cursor but he cannot sign in because that window does not appear when it is restarted. I had him reset PRAM and SMC to no avail. A window is open on his sign in page that says that it is not connected to a wireless.
mouse. But nowhere to sign in.
1.So he has a non working Apple mouse but the Logitech is sending a signal but not paired with the computer.
2. He cannot sign in as there is no window appearing below his name to sign in.
These 2 things appear to have happened at the same time. He called Apple Support and the first thing the rep did was have him restart his computer. He didn't even check for a dead mouse. He said to my brother his computer is too old and hung up.
I went through pram and SMC hoping to at least get to home page. But even if I got a home page how can I get the cursor to System preferences to get switch over to respond to keyboard input to set up new Logitech mouse?
Anybody with any ideas what I can do over the phone with him? I think he might have 2 separate issues? But why did it all happen at the same time?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try the following and see what happens:

1. Get a USB mouse and plug it into the computer. Any old mouse will do. It does not have to be an Apple mouse or expensive mouse.
2. If the cursor starts moving as you move the mouse, click on his name. That should make the window appear for him to start typing his name.
3. If the cursor doesn't move when you attach the mouse restart the computer.

I see Bob beat me to it.

PS: Once he is signed in we can troubleshoot a bit to figure out any other mouse and keyboard issues.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the following and see what happens:

1. Get a USB mouse and plug it into the computer. Any old mouse will do. It does not have to be an Apple mouse or expensive mouse.
2. If the cursor starts moving as you move the mouse, click on his name. That should make the window appear for him to start typing his name.
3. If the cursor doesn't move when you attach the mouse restart the computer.

I see Bob brat me to it.
Old school... of course. Thanks I'll start there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
First thing I would do is get a basic USB mouse, plug that in and reboot the Mac.

Get a USB WIRED mouse, just in case it was not clear.

Connect it and Restart the Mac and he should be set to go, at least for all basic Mac mousing functions.ch for being so obnoxious and opinionated, and if his 2014 iMac Is too old, I guess I really should have trouble with my old 2011 27 inch iMac!! :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a wired $9.00 USB and got everything working and set up the wireless mouse. But then he said his mail wasn't working and I asked a lot of questions and lot of silence cause when he stares at the screen his brain freezes when it isn't working correctly. PhD in Criminal Forensics but totally gets fried when his computer doesn't work. Finally I found that both emails were offline. I then said see if Google works and it wasn't working. I said call Charter and tell them your internet is down. Strange that his Apple mouse died exactly at the same time his internet went down. Now all is good. He thought I was real smart but I told him that I just asked some guys who told me what to do and so I couldn't take credit. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now all is good. He thought I was real smart but I told him that I just asked some guys who told me what to do and so I couldn't take credit. Thanks

Congratulations and well done.

It's nice when actual fix-it suggestions actually work. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.