2 Day Old iMac Virgin...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20inch 2GB RAM Radeon X1600
Hi all,

Just picked up my first Mac and loving it atm. 'two finger salute to microsoft':Angry-Tongue:

I have a few question i would like some feed back on.

1. On the subject of music storage and iTunes.

I have a 320gb mybook with about 20gb of music, is there a way i can get iTunes to run the music from the mybook or do i have to transfer all my files to Mac HD? Or use a different mp3 player as I don't really want to transfer the files.

2. Trying to open .nfo .rar files, what would be the best software to open the files.?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can most definitely play the music on your external hard drive. All you have to do is plug the drive in, fire up iTunes, click on File, and then Add to Library. Point it to the music on your external drive and within a few seconds, you should have it all available in the iTunes library

To open a .nfo file, just use the built in TextEdit. For .rar files, you'll need something like Stuffit. You should be able to find this with a simple Google search :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also before you do that, open iTunes Preferences, Advanced and the General tab and make sure you Uncheck "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library". Then it will just use the files on your WD External and not copy them to your systems Hard Drive also.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I don't think you can be called a virgin after two days of use ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
when trying to open a file, right click on it and u will see the "open with.." option...u can use any of the recommended applications, or u can select the 'all applications' option to open with ANY application...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20inch 2GB RAM Radeon X1600
thanks guys helped a lot... now i can keep my 250HD for apps only..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.