2.8 vs 3.06 iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new iMac and am looking for some feedback on the relative merits of the two clock speeds.

In addition to all the usual internet-related computer usage, I'll be using Aperture, though I'm not planning on any processor-intensive video rendering. I don't play the sorts of games that might make the best use of the faster processor.

All that said, is there any compelling reason to buy the faster model. Other than the gut level compulsion to simply have the fastest Mac, though that's obviously a moving target, to say nothing of it being an insufficient rationalization for a major purchase... :)

Is the difference in processor speeds noticeable in day-to-day usage?

Ken

OP
kbalch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
Thanks for the link. Still no definitive conclusions. While part of me wants the 3.06GHz with the 1TB drive, I'm leaning (at the moment) to the 2.8GHz with the 500GB drive and the upgraded video card. Decisions, decisions... :)

I'll report back with the winner...

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06Ghz
I got the 3.06GHz, with 4GB RAM with the base 500GB HD...I don't regret anything about my purchase. You only have to get the best ONCE, no need to upgrade later. With the price of firewire HDD ever decreasing you can always add more memory if you ever need it. It's my 1st mac ever and I really like it, learning more every day. Good luck with your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You will not notice any difference between the 2.8 and 3.06. Heck, you won't notice a difference between the 2.2 and the 3.06. You'll never notice much of difference comparing different speeds of the same type of CPU.

I'd go for the 2.8 and Geforce.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac - 3.06Ghz / 750G HD / 4G ram / Nvidia 8800
I've had my iMac 3.06 for about a month and a half now and I can say that I have had no problems with it at all, does everything I need, work in Photoshop CS3 and other apps like that and no bother for it.

I use a Quad MacPro at work and I fell sometimes that this is faster, probably because it's mine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.