2 - 3 Gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Is it worth upgrading form 2 to 3 Gb Ram in my MBP?

I run parallels for windows now and then, but am running Vista (yuk) but it is a little slow. I give it a gig but am thinking if I beefed up my ram I can give it more and still use osx.. especially with cohesion :)

Also how do I upgrade? It came with 2Gb so do I need to get 1 2Gb stick and stick that in to total the three?

Last question, if it is worth it, any good UK sites to order from?

Thanks all, and Happy Easter Weekend!

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Adding more RAM will always improve performance, but I don't know if you need it seeing as how you only run Parallels occasionally and haven't mentioned any other RAM-hungry applications such as Photoshop or FCP.

As for actually upgrading, you are correct, you get one 2GB stick and pair it with the 1GB stick you already have for a total of 3GB.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I should add that I frequently have photoshop, illustrastor, flash, safari, opera, firefox, etc etc etc open when I want to load up parallels.. and it would be useful to be able to leave it on for quick access to ie7

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
In that case, 3GB would suit you just perfectly :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm getting an extra gig os RAM, hopefully today, to up mine to 2. I just started using parallels and allocated half my RAM to it, so when I run Parallels, the whole system runs very slow; like almost a minute to open up Word!

I wanted to go with 3Gb, but the price of 1 Gb stick vs. a 2 Gb stick was just too much for me. If you're running all of those heavy programs, you'll probably need 3. In fact, I don't see how you can get anything done with 1 !!!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In fact, I don't see how you can get anything done with 1 !!!

That's why I have 2 ;)

Can anyone in UK recommend any sites to order from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro
unfortunately a 2GB stick from newegg costs around $200 so its quite expensive =/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.