13 inch vs 15 inch : Build quality difference

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was using 13 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2015 for a year. But recently bought the 15 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2015(custom configured to 512GB SSD) which is still under the return period. Right out the box I could feel the display hinge isn’t as tight as the 13-inch, shakes bit easily. The trackpad is equally sensitive but have a bit softer vibration feedback for the click(for the same clickiness setting in System Preferences->Trackpad) and the same thing for the keyboard too. The keys are are softer in feedback(not wobbly) compared to the 1 year old MacBook Pro 13 inch. Considering I’ve spent a hefty amount for this machine and will be definitely using it for 5 years max, Should I worry,

1. whether the display hinge will become even more looser overtime?
2. whether the keyboard will lose it’s original feedback soon and the same with trackpad too?

First of all I’m not sure whether the Apple Tech guys will agree to my claims and just think I’m crazy.
Second of all by requesting a replacement, Am I just wasting my time because again I may get a device with something else?

What do you guys say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Everything about my MBP (mid 2012) is as tight as a camel's butt in a sandstorm, and has been since day 1.

My Mac gets some hammer too, since as often as not, it's with me in my truck.

If it feels way different to your 13", I'd definitely consider chopping it in for a replacement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe these issues are issues...and maybe they're normal. Comparing a 13" to a 15" MacBook Pro is not a perfect experiment. There very well may be differences between a 13" and a 15". Although I would think that the keyboards would be very similar.

If you really think something is not right...have Apple take a look at it.:)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Everything about my MBP (mid 2012) is as tight as a camel's butt in a sandstorm, and has been since day 1.

My Mac gets some hammer too, since as often as not, it's with me in my truck.

If it feels way different to your 13", I'd definitely consider chopping it in for a replacement.
One of the reason I went with 2015 model is because of keyboard. Butterfly keys of 2016 Macs aren't my thing. Considering this is custom configured computer and seeing many people having some issues out of the box, by requesting a replacement, Am I just wasting my time because again I may get a device with some other problem? I really want a Mac. Will they replace(still under return period) this instead of repair for this silly issue(according to Apple)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it back to Apple and you do have the opportunity to return it for another if it is new.

Regarding Apple Techs you don't know until you take it back. I am not sure I will get 6 numbers in New Year's Eve Super Lotto either but I'm gonna try!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.