13' i5 mid-2011 air fan issues

Reaction score
hi everyone,
this is my first macbook so im quite inexperienced about it. maybe my problem is completely normal, if so sorry about that.
currently im watching a 720p movie online, and there is no other applications running. the temperature istat pro shows is 88C and the fan is running with 2045 rpm. how is this happening? is this temp. and fan speed normal? if its not, what should i do? the fans-or fan i guess- should have kicked in already right?

if you dont have an answer, i would be grateful if you just write down your temperature and fan speed in my situation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All normal. Watching an on line video taxes the GPU and CPU which makes them get hot and in turn the fan will ramp up to provide extra cooling. Make sure your MacBook is on a flat hard surface so that air can circulate all around it. I always recommend using a notebook stand because it aids in cooling and also provides some protection against spills.

OP
D
Reaction score
All normal. Watching an on line video taxes the GPU and CPU which makes them get hot and in turn the fan will ramp up to provide extra cooling. Make sure your MacBook is on a flat hard surface so that air can circulate all around it. I always recommend using a notebook stand because it aids in cooling and also provides some protection against spills.

you completely misunderstood me i guess. my fan doesn't ramp up even cpu reaches 90C while watching videos, this is my problem. I'm afraid of damaging the hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you measuring the temps and fan speeds?

If the fan is not spinning any faster than 2045 RPM and the temperature is reaching 90º C, then it could be a temperature sensor that is not working right.

The machine is designed to shut itself down if it overheats but it's not good to let it get that hot.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm using istat widget and trial version of istat menus. i don't hear any fan voice either, so sensor is fine. istat lets you to change fan speed and when i set fan speed to medium, it works pretty well at 4200 rpm and temp. goes down to 70C-which is so normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your machine appears not to be working right. The fan should definitely ramp up in RPM when the temperature gets that hot. What I suggest you do is make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and bring the machine in to them so they can diagnose what the problem might be. Your machine is under warranty so any repairs will be done for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.