12" display replicator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Hi everyone.

I'm still really hung-up over whether to buy a 12" or 14" (you probably get this all the time, sorry :)). Basicly my needs are such; I want to be able to put my ibook on a desk, or my bed, kitchen etc. and work on it for very long periods of time as if it was my only computer.

I know the resolutions are exactly the same, but in an honest oppinion, do you think my eyes will hurt from working on the 12" for hours at a time? I'm spend most of my time on my computer. Everyone seems to say "get the 12"" but I've heard a few people say that if it is your only machine, and you don't have an external display, you'll regret it.

So, is there some sort of emulator that I can use on my 17" crt to see what a 12" screen would look like?

Okay go crazy, lol
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I don't think there is such a thing as an emulator, there are ways of doing it yourself I would think, you could adjust the screen dimensions on some displays, or use something like apple remote desktop to control an ibook with a 12" screen and you'd see a fairly accurate size, or try an app like you control desktops and set one to be the size of the 12" screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you have an Apple store near you, pay a visit and take a look at the screen. If not, then even heading to any Best Buy, Circuit City, or other electronics store and look at the smaller screen Windows notebooks and see how you like them in person. A 12" CRT and 12" LCD will still be vastly different. I'd really suggest looking at them in person if you can.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Thanks for the tip schweb. Actually the nearest Apple store is about 3.5 hours away, but I never thought about the other option. I'm going to go have a look at some of the PC laptops in the electronics stores in town. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have a 12" iBook. 1024X768 look really different in my iBook than on my 15 CRT for my PC. It is alot bigger. iBooks have a mini DVI out on the side. Mine came with an adapter for mini DVI to whatever a pc monitor jack is called. you could hook that up on a desk or something. Check out the top picture it has the monitor mirroring the iBook.

M

mangoSharingan

Well, I use my iBook 12" like 90% of the time now and it's perfectly fine for me. Sometimes if I'm playing a game and want to do without the ghosting, I plug it to my 17" CRT flat monitor using the DVI-VGA adapter provided.

O

otopico

The biggest difference between the 12 and the 14 inch ibook is the pixel size.

Do what others have suggested and go by a compusa or an apple reseller and look at them side by side. The 14 is bigger, but even with font smoothing turned on the display looks really pixel-y.

I have a 12 inch, and when I eventually upgrade, I will probably go with another 12 inch. the screen size doesn't seem to cause that much trouble for my eyes, and my vision is bad to begin with.

Reaction score
I used to think the 12 inch is too small, but its quite large
and think of the portability. 12 inch is more than enough

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.