10.5.4 software update

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I have two Macs, one is fully up to date, the other is still on 10.5.2 and I have downloaded the 10.5.4 update, however when the update installer kicks in the dialog sits at "configuring installation" and never advances.

Even leaving it running over-night, it still has not advance by the morning.

Switching the computer off and running the installer again has the same result.

So two questions really;

1. How can I 'force' the installer to complete

or

2. How can I delete the downloaded 10.5.4 software update so that i can try downloading it again to see if the installer will run properly this time

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Solved it by NOT using software update, and instead downloading the update direct from Apple and running that installer.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the update. It lags in the same place for hours. I hope your solution works for me too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I've had the same problem. You should delete the "cache.db" file, located at
:\Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

You are probably facing a corrupted download.

Reaction score
Bit of a newbie question, but can someone please tell me where the software updater downloads live? I am trying to do the 10.5.4 update and like Del above, it freezes when I use the software updater process. It tells me that the update has downloaded, but I can't seem to find it so I can run it manually. It would be great to not have to download the 500mb file again...

I have done a spotlight search but can't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go to Home>Downloads and the update should be sitting in there. Find the best way for me is to disconnect all peripherals other than keyboard/mouse, run Repair Permissions, download update only from the Apple web site, drag from downloaded update from the Downloads folder to the desktop and double click to install.

When finished after reboot, if necessary, run repair Permissions again.

Reaction score
If only it were that simple :-( the update isn't in the downloads folder even though the software update window says the update has been downloaded. (I did check, promise).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like another download. Go to Software Update and click. When update window comes go to menu bar and select 'Download Only' and it will then be available for instatllation. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.