10.3.8 taking 4 minutes to startup!!!

S

socialpest

this is crazy, for some reason my mac is taking 4 minutes to start up (i timed it). it's a 1 gH g4 PB with 1,256 of ram with around 20gigs free on on the hard drive.

i've done a disk repair and run the default maintenance in Onyx but these made no difference.

the only things i can think that could have done this are the installation of virtual pc (i felt like i was introducing cancer to my poor old mac) or the last security patch.

in a various forums i found a few other people with the same issue but no definitive fixes. :(

anyone with any sugestions on how to fix i'd be very grateful.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This is going to be asked sooner or later, but did you recently install lots of fonts for your mac?

OP
S

socialpest

funny you should say that, i did inadvertantly install a whole bunch of fonts that i don't really need.

is there a quick way for me to uninstall them? i don't have suitcase or another similar package.

to describe fully what happens, the blue startup screen runs as normal, then i get the wallpaper and the spinning beachball for nearly 4 minutes before the icons in the menu bar are adding then finally the menu itself.

the font things seems a reasonable solution if i can figure the best way to remove the unwanted ones...

thanks for your observation.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't recall what is the overall correct method of removing fonts, but could go into Font Book and disable some of the ones you added. Or go into Finder Library/Fonts, and sort by date to remove the ones you just installed.

OP
S

socialpest

yikes i have had a look in the user>library>fonts and it's worse than i thought. there are hundreds of them! i have them backed up so am happy to trash.

however, i would like to keep the system fonts, is there a way i can trash the lot and then reinstall the standard set?

i figure i can just use the ones from the system library - but thought it best to check.

this has got to be the reason i'm sure, many thanks for your help guys.

OP
S

socialpest

ok - moved all the fonts in my account library to a folder on the desktop and restarted.

it took less than 2 mins to start up :) and all the standard fonts seem to still be in operation.

many thanks iWhat for that observation.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome. It's a well-known problem in mac os x and among the members here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, if you're using more than the default fonts, suitcase is the way to go, as i've said before, I love apple, but fontbook sucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.