M

Matt

I know in Windows, if you download an update, chances are it makes the computer worse off. So is 10.3.5 recommended by the people of this forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, I started with 10.3 and regularly updated it, ending up at 10.3.5. Never had a problem related to system updates yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
It's not a Window box and generally Mac OS patches have less holes then window equivalents. 10.3.5 runs and updates without a glitch.

OP
N

Nightblade

Well, actually, believe it or not, I may be experiencing some problems, but maybe these only apply to G3s. When 10.3.4 first came out, my father and I downloaded it. I think my computer may have gotten slightly slower, and his definitely did, since I could no longer play Gameboy Advance games on VisualBoy Advance on his computer at top speed. Before the update, it was at top speed, and I think that's what caused it. When I heard that the release of 10.3.5 was a speed update, I was happy, but it's not any faster. My father downloaded it too, and the games still don't run at top speed. So, on my experiences on a G3 (one with 500 MHz and 384 MB of RAM, and the other with 700 MHz and 256 MB of RAM), these minor updates seem to make the computer slower. But I'd still recommend it. Apple recommends it to all users of Panther. I'm sure it has updates that are good, and of course eventually lots of programs will only be able to run on 10.3.5. So, it is best to progress further, even though there are negative consequences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
10.3.5 is running nicely on both my iBook G3 900 and my Beige G3 AIO 300. No problems at all. :)

OP
I

iSheep

My HP scanjet (scanner) doesn't work with 10.3.5 - Unfortunatly I bought the Mac with 10.3.5 and can't go back, so I'm stuck with a non-functioning scanner.

Apart from that, everything else is happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My 10.3.5 is running just great :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
iSheep said:
My HP scanjet (scanner) doesn't work with 10.3.5 - Unfortunatly I bought the Mac with 10.3.5 and can't go back, so I'm stuck with a non-functioning scanner.

Did you test the scanner using an earlier version of OS X to confirm that it is the .5 update that's the problem?

OP
M

Matt

I'll wait for more comments on G3 users. I have a HP printer. Anyone had any conflicts with HP printers/scanners? I mean for any version for OS X? Did yours work fine in one version and in others it didn't? I have heard alot of trouble with HP printers with Macs, thats all.

Aimed @ iSheep:

I didn't know you got a Mac! How long ago?

OP
S

Shin

I'm having a nightmare... My mouse and keyboard stop responding all time.

And others USB stuffs maybe stop responding too... I do not really know, but this release cames with a BIG troubles... I tested with another 3 computers: 2 has no problem but 1 has the same trouble....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try running repair permissions: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
Scanner Problem

iSheep said:

Have you tried a program called VueScan? It should support your scanner but I'm afraid its not free. Its available at http://www.hamrick.com/ for about $60. And no, I don't work for them... lol.

OP
I

iSheep

Padawan said:
Did you test the scanner using an earlier version of OS X to confirm that it is the .5 update that's the problem?
The help artical on HP.com told me it was a .5 problem and that it would be fixed soon.

Grrr.

OP
I

iSheep

Matt said:
I'll wait for more comments on G3 users. I have a HP printer. Anyone had any conflicts with HP printers/scanners? I mean for any version for OS X? Did yours work fine in one version and in others it didn't? I have heard alot of trouble with HP printers with Macs, thats all.

Aimed @ iSheep:

I didn't know you got a Mac! How long ago?
2 weeks now - I love it!

I can't get Excel to print anything at the moment, tad annoying.

OP
I

iSheep

Dalton29 said:
Have you tried a program called VueScan? It should support your scanner but I'm afraid its not free. Its available at http://www.hamrick.com/ for about $60. And no, I don't work for them... lol.
Well it all loads up fine and it even scans in a preview, but soon as I hit the button to scan it in, in just crashes.

HP have never made good software. Stick to what you're best at.

OP
M

Matt

Correction iSheep, HP never made good drivers for Mac. I know how you feel :( I have a HP printer.

OP
I

iSheep

Matt said:
Correction iSheep, HP never made good drivers for Mac. I know how you feel :( I have a HP printer.
When I first installed the drivers on my Mac, I was really impressed because they work better and seem more functional than on Windows. HP seem to believe that everybody is stupid so they dumb down their software to make it 'easy'. So they do 'clever' things like putting the Exit button in the bottom right hand corner, the last place anybody on Windows would look, and because you can't just hit File > Quit (because they removed the menu), it's stuck there if you can't find it. I remember coming home one evening after my dad had been printing some pictures, so obviously he had to change the settings to picture mode. He got fed up when he couldn't figure out how to exit. The button is tiny! Doesn't even have the word Exit next to it or anything, you could just about mistake it for part of their crappy interface.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.