10.2.8 clients to 10.3 server

M

mcteal

Hi all,
I would like to be able to authenticate some 10.2.8 client machines to a 10.3 server.

I keep getting the following error message:

"You are not authorized to log into this computer."

Any ideas as to why I would not be able to log in from 10.2.8 client machines?

Thanks inadvance for your help.
B

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Being an old unix guy. The first thing that comes to mind is. Do you have the same user ids on the server as you do on the client? An example would be rman on both the server and the client.

OP
M

mcteal

Good question.
Could you let me know what the command line to check all the user ids for the client machines?
B

rman said:
Being an old unix guy. The first thing that comes to mind is. Do you have the same user ids on the server as you do on the client? An example would be rman on both the server and the client.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will need to run the netinfo manager, which is located in the Applications/Utilities folder. In the middle of the window, select users. I don't know which application to use on the Panther side.

Compare the user names and uid on both the server and the client.

OP
M

mcteal

When I looked at the netinfo data, I saw no indication of afpusers, like I am able to see on a 10.3 machine.

Also, does 10.2 require the full hostname during the authentication process in LDAP? When I look in Directory Access I am only given the IP address and not the hostname. The way I see it as they are very similar but, again, on the 10.3 machines the Directory Access path is the hostname and not the IP address.
Is there a way to change this?

Thanks again.
B

rman said:
You will need to run the netinfo manager, which is located in the Applications/Utilities folder. In the middle of the window, select users. I don't know which application to use on the Panther side.

Compare the user names and uid on both the server and the client.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.