1 Gig PC133 DIMM's In eMac

T

Twist

Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying to use 1 gig DIMM's of PC133 RAM in the just replaced 1 GHz 4x SuperDrive model eMac's?

I think that the 512 megs per slot is just one of those limitations that Apple lists that isn't really a limitation at all, it is just in the documentation to make the more expensive models look better. This said I would still rather hear of a success story first before sticking 2 1 gig DIMM's in an eMac and shorting it out or something. So if anyone has done this or seen news about someone else doing it please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As far as I know, the 2 slot 2 X 512 > 1 Gig limit still exists in eMac, simply cause motherboard modifications for broader slots make no sense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Twist said:
Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying to use 1 gig DIMM's of PC133 RAM in the just replaced 1 GHz 4x SuperDrive model eMac's?

I think that the 512 megs per slot is just one of those limitations that Apple lists that isn't really a limitation at all, it is just in the documentation to make the more expensive models look better. This said I would still rather hear of a success story first before sticking 2 1 gig DIMM's in an eMac and shorting it out or something. So if anyone has done this or seen news about someone else doing it please let me know.

To the best of my knowledge, the limit stands. However, even the Apple-quoted limit of 1 GB is a substantial amount of RAM. What applications are you running that you'd need more than that? Keep in mind, 2 GB of memory could basically buy you a whole additional eMac. ;)

OP
B

Badger

Twist said:

On past models Apple has listed max RAM below what the model actually could use on only a few models, the tray-loading iMac for example. Even then some owners report problems trying to go beyond the limit listed. The technical info for the eMac is pretty clear that 256mg per bank with 2 banks per chip for 512mg per slot is the max that can be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Padawan said:
To the best of my knowledge, the limit stands. However, even the Apple-quoted limit of 1 GB is a substantial amount of RAM. What applications are you running that you'd need more than that? Keep in mind, 2 GB of memory could basically buy you a whole additional eMac. ;)

I agree. I have 512MB in my eMac and it functions just fine. I may someday upgrade to 1GB, but at this point I really have no cause or reason to do so.

OP
B

Badger

Twist said:

There is a report on Accelerate Your Mac of a new 1.25 ghz model using 1 gb dimms so maybe the older models can too. The link is: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/apr04/042904.html#S17348. Let the forum know if you decide to try it.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
i upgraded my old 700 e mac at work to 1 gig from 640, i do not see any significant changes in speed and performance. some minor improvements and thats it. though i em not sure how 1.25 GHz model will behave. on 700 eMac i know for sure that i have the CPU to blame, its a botelneck in some cases, though it actually uses all 1gig of RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.