• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

remote starter systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
does anyone install these in cars without automatic transmissions? my car has a manual tranny and i'd really love automatic remote starting, but the big companies won't install it because it's a liability. I understand completely the reasoning, but i don't EVER leave my car in gear. EVER. and i'd really like that. anyone have any tips?

Reaction score
How old is the car? Anything with a manual transmission made in the past 25 years, at least, won't start in gear, or even neutral, if the clutch pedal isn't depressed — I think.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well those clutch switches could conceivably be bypassed.

though, technically you should always have the car in gear when it's parked.

needless to say i don't have a remote start on my 5sp forester. though i do have seat warmers... ;)

woah, wait... i just noticed your location. you're in texas and you want a remote start? why?

Reaction score
well those clutch switches could conceivably be bypassed.
It's probably against U.S. federal law to bypass the switch, probably the main reason no business will do it. Think catalytic converter.
though, technically you should always have the car in gear when it's parked.
I was going to mention that but didn't when I saw Texas. Now, San Francisco or Vancouver. . . .

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, i didn't say bypassing the clutch switch was legal, though i can't imagine that would be a legal issue in that respect. i'd imagine it's more a liability thing. if a shop tampered with that switch and then that car was accidentally started in gear and hurt or killed someone, they'd be up to thier ears in lawsuits.

OP
mck_tj05
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
yes for the AC and the few days a year when it gets ungodly cold here. lol thanks for the help all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
My car wasn't build with a clutch switch...

I saw a picture of someone that used it in gear on accident. It was pretty bad. Took a chunk out of his garage, not to mention his car!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Friend of mine has remote start in both her Celicas, and they are both manual. Dont see why they cant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.