3G iPhone??

Reaction score
I am on the verge of buying an Iphone. My only question is how far away is the 3g IPHONE. I know its coming out this year. Does anyone have any clue as to when its coming out?

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. My verizon contract is up (im on a month-to-month), half the buttons on the front of my phone don't work and my ipod just died yesterday. I'm trying to hold out for the 3G iPhone as well...

Anyone have any idea??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Nope. I did once read a comment that when it does come, we'd essentially know a few months in advance because Apple would have to file some paperwork with the FCC to get it approved. Since there's been no news yet, we likely have a bit of waiting to go.

There reportedly is a big Apple news event coming up this month soon... perhaps an announcement then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Everything I have seen suggests mid 08. Apple said SDK would be out in Feb which is getting close to the end. Put those together and you come up with the end of the year.

Reaction score
im also in the same boat there is a an apple meeting or some sort goin on feb 26.. my verizon contract is up march 17th i dont mind waiting till end of march beginig of april for a 3g iphone but i want one really really soon!!!

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, Im buying one by the end of march. I could go to the at&t store and buy one right now if I wanted but Im waiting for my tax return check, so I can put it in my account. Im also saving up for a MBP laptop. I cant wait to get it.

Reaction score
Well, Im buying one by the end of march. I could go to the at&t store and buy one right now if I wanted but Im waiting for my tax return check, so I can put it in my account. Im also saving up for a MBP laptop. I cant wait to get it.

but would you wait another 1-2 months for the 3g iphone???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
I was reading the new issue of Mac|Life today and they said in it that it's not expected to come out any time soon. I wouldn't wait for it....

Reaction score
I think best case scenario for the 3G phone is June. With the SDK coming out I don't see Apple taking attention away from that anytime soon.

My contract just expired as well, and I am not up for waiting. It could be another 6 months, and we have no idea what the price point will be (I wouldn't be surprised to see the $599 price point again, at least temporarily).

3G is supposed to be solid, but with all the people who have bought iPhones in the last few months, it must not be a dealbreaker.

More likely we will see the 16GB model drop in price in the next 90 days or so. That is the bigger question to as yourself about waiting.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, it all depends on how fast my tax return comes in as to when ill get it.

Reaction score
If I'm gonna pay $600 and have this thing which will double as my ipod for at least 2 years it better have 3G- I'm trying to stick it out.

Reaction score
I got mine the day the 16GB came out. The internet is NOT that slow, it really is bearable. Go for it now!

Reaction score
I was reading the new issue of Mac|Life today and they said in it that it's not expected to come out any time soon. I wouldn't wait for it....

I got mine the day the 16GB came out. The internet is NOT that slow, it really is bearable. Go for it now!

I THINK I MIGHT RIGHT AFTER THE FEB 26 REPORT JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE GUNNA SAY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I was reading a post by another member possibly Schweb that made a really good point about the FCC - I think we'll know that the 3g iPhone is coming out some 6 or so months before it's available to buy as Apple will have to pass it over to the FCC to make sure it's safe or what-ever it is that these guys do.

I think Apple would have to release the info about the phone before or just as they pass it to the FCC so that the info is not released by someone else - just like they did when they launched the iPhone some 6'ish months before you could actually buy it.

Reaction score
Darn it. Well... hopefully they report on feb 26th that they are giving it to the FCC...

but would they really announce that a 3g phone is coming? I mean, we'll know that they've passed it to the fcc but if they officially announce it, no one would purchase an iphone now, right?

Reaction score
Darn it. Well... hopefully they report on feb 26th that they are giving it to the FCC...

but would they really announce that a 3g phone is coming? I mean, we'll know that they've passed it to the fcc but if they officially announce it, no one would purchase an iphone now, right?

thats true but then they will have to lower the price of the current iphone which will make ppl that want one to gewt them now.. and people that want the 3g to wait

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money

thats true but then they will have to lower the price of the current iphone which will make ppl that want one to gewt them now.. and people that want the 3g to wait

I don't know how accurate the FCC thing is but it kind of made sense when I read it.

I'd agree that there would be problems shifting the 2.5g iPhones but I guess some people wouldn't need or maybe want 3g - if for example they lived in an area with no 3g coverage - if Apple slashed the price on the 'old' iPhones - maybe that would be enough to keep them selling??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Apple isn't going to announce to the world that it filed a petition with the FCC. The company is going to be as low key about it as possible, obviously to prevent people from not buying the current iPhone.

Then again, the majority of Apple fans don't really follow much in the way of Apple news and releases, they just go to the store and buy whatever is available unless an Apple Store rep tells them to hold off. So even if people found the FCC filing, it really wouldn't affect Apple that much in the way of sales of the current iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.