• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where should the next Canadian Apple Store be built?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Okay, obviously this question is for Canadians or those familiar with Canada. We only have four Apple Stores right now, with three of them in - surprise - Toronto, and one in Laval, Quebec.

But what about centers like the Vancouver metro area with what, over 2 million people? Or Calgary, with over a million people - and growing by over 20,000 per year - and with a population that spends money like it grows on trees?

Anyhow, I cast my vote for Calgary, mainly because I live close to it, but also because it has the Lethbridge, Red Deer, and Edmonton markets within a 3-hour radius, which adds up to about another million people.

So, where do YOU think the next Canadian Apple Store should be built?

Reaction score
Calgary would probably be the best choice, mainly for the reasons you listed.

Reaction score
Vancouver doesn't need one because it has mountains. Calgary doesn't need one because it has at least two resellers — and oil.

That leaves Winnipeg, because the only Mac reseller I can find is in the basement of a TV store — stupid, because the population is around 600,000.

And it doesn't have mountains. And it doesn't have oil. Just snow. So Winnipeg deserves one.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
And you can't forget the cities close to Winnipeg, which include ... uh ... Brandon. And ... mmm ... Portage, too. And ... oh, I guess that's it. So including rural areas, perhaps a total market of 750,000, am I right? I think you've got a case that Apple can't refuse!

M

MacHeadCase

I know that Apple is going to open a flagship store in downtown on Sainte-Catherine street corner of De la Montagne. It'll be a store on two floors, a bit smaller than the one on 5th Avenue. It is said it will open in summer 2008. It'll be much easier to go to than the one in Carrefour Laval.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, looks like Apple has the same perspective on Canada that Ontario and Quebec have: anything east or west is just a barren wasteland deserving nothing of prestige, like a nice, shiny new Apple Store.

Reaction score
iWish, did you see Kipper just took a puck off the jaw on his mask and left the game?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My vote goes to Yellowknife. Just because.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wait'll I email teh Steve and remind him Manitoba has a seaport — just like B.C.!

He'll probably open an Apple store here next week.

Great, now you'll REALLY kill Calgary's chances for scoring a big one! But I guess that's no different than what it's been like to be a Calgary sports fan over the past few years.

M

MacHeadCase

Hmmm, looks like Apple has the same perspective on Canada that Ontario and Quebec have: anything east or west is just a barren wasteland deserving nothing of prestige, like a nice, shiny new Apple Store.

Poor you! ;D

Couldn't this be explained by the sales per capita? I highly doubt Apple makes these moves solely based on what you are putting forth here.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWish, did you see Kipper just took a puck off the jaw on his mask and left the game?

Brutal! He must've seen an iMac ad hanging somewhere in 'The Joe' - too distracting!

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Couldn't this be explained by the sales per capita? I highly doubt Apple makes these moves solely based on what you are putting forth here.

Okay, okay, I'll get serious for a moment. Being originally from Calgary, I know all too well the almost comical (yet sad) spend-a-holic mentality. People there will buy practically ANYTHING to get their materialistic fix, with money being no object. The same could be said for Alberta in general - this bloody province is AWASH in money (and I don't necessarily say that's a GOOD thing!). And this is a trend that has been several years in the making and only growing stronger.

But it's also an island in the sense that, aside from Edmonton, the only city/metro area of comparable size is over 1,000 km away (Vancouver). So yeah, I'd love to see Calgary get its own Apple Store, but if they don't it would probably most certainly be based on geography, not market potential/demographics.

And I would be very surprised if Calgary's Apple per capita sales were low. Like any highly affluent metro area, I see Apple products all the time in public places and on people whenever I visit there.

So, based on economics, if Calgary's NOT being considered for an Apple Store some time within the next five years, I'd be absolutely shocked! As mentioned earlier, there's still a market of another million people within three hours of it, and they're about as trigger-happy with the credit card as Calgarians are! I'm not sure Apple will ignore the wealthiest region in North America for long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Nunavut, because a polar bear with a MacBook is about the coolest thing in the world I think.

Reaction score
. . . anything east or west is just a barren wasteland deserving nothing. . .
But Winnipeg is a barr . . . never mind.
Couldn't this be explained by the sales per capita?
Probably. But Apple opened its own stores in the first place for that reason. Maybe it has to do with the population ratio of the truly wealthy vs. everyone else. In that regard, Vancouver would beat Calgary — think disposable income after the mortgage or rent is paid. (In Calgary, even a grass hut is worth half a million dollars or more, but with everyone living in a "grass hut," what's left over at the first of the month?)

So I'd say — if ever — Vancouver, then Calgary, then Edmonton, then Winnipeg. Unless Saskatchewan really catches on fire with the oil boom. If so, add Regina and Saskatoon to the mix.

But if the oil bubble bursts, it's a new ball game. I lived in Calgary when the last one did.

M

MacHeadCase

Well for news and rumours on Apple store openings, there is a website that talks of nothing but that. ifoAppleStore.

I checked quickly and the site says there will be a store opening in Vancouver scheduled for next spring.

Here's a couple of articles for the second Montreal store.

Is Montreal Next Canada Site?

Apple Wants Space But Not Meters (I think this might be a derivative of the article you sent me a couple of months ago?)

In any case, I can hardly wait it'll be much more convenient for those of us that have no cars. It'll be right next to the Peel metro station. And we walked in front of the space they'll be using and it'll be very cool indeed. Work hadn't started yet back in September.

My vote goes to Yellowknife. Just because.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Black flies are gonna eat clients alive in the spring over there. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Apple Store is coming in to calgary in the chinook expansion...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i vote for ottawa because we are the coolest! lol. and we are the capital of canada, doesnt that in itself deserve to have an apple store here? we have a population of almost a million 8xx,xxx. and with all the surrounding areas (hull/gatineau) and all the surrounding rural villages (osgoode, russell, embrun, etc.) there must be over a million people with in a 40 min drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.