New here, Getting a iMac, and have QUESTIONS

Reaction score
Hello Mac-forum community. I'm Montie. Ever since about 5 years ago, i have had a fascination with apple. For christmas, i was given an iPod 3rd generation i think. it had the 4 buttons above the click wheel. and it was seriously the coolest thing i had ever owned. I was the only person in my school with one. I was about 9 years old at the time (young, i know) but i still was a tech freak and knew my stuff about computers and ipods. Now i'm 15, and wish i had known about the stock market when i was 9. because if i would have been born 5 years before and was 15 when i got my first iPod, i would have defantely told my parents to buy apple stock.

Well, i became obsessed with the white beauty of Macs, and wanted one. for the longest time. but they were always too expensive =/. I suffered through a dell laptop 2 years ago and now the new aluminum iMac's aren't so expensive ^^. So my parents decided to splurge and get me one for christmas. I dont know if they are going to order it early or going to wait until christmas, but all i know is that i'm one of the luckiest kids out there to know i'm getting one.

My questions... I am going to get the 20inch 2.4ghz 1gig ram with the 256 meg video card...

Soon after getting the computer i am going to purchase this ram...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134549

Will that work smoothly with my system? i see in the comments people have success stories with it so my guess would be YES it will work. But i would like to hear any horror stories or tips so i can avoid any problems...

another quesiton, I have all my music backed up to my external Western Digital 500gig hard drive, that will work fine w/ the mac right? im 90 percent positive it will but theres always that chance that it won't...

Another question... I might be able to convince my parents to get me the 24 inch screen. Is it really worth it? I want the extra resolution and screen space but is it REALLY that much more?

Thats basically all my questions

if you read all that... thanks for your time =]

and thanks for your help in advance also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, i became obsessed with the white beauty of Macs, and wanted one. for the longest time. but they were always too expensive =/. I suffered through a dell laptop 2 years ago and now the new aluminum iMac's aren't so expensive ^^. So my parents decided to splurge and get me one for christmas. I dont know if they are going to order it early or going to wait until christmas, but all i know is that i'm one of the luckiest kids out there to know i'm getting one.

My questions... I am going to get the 20inch 2.4ghz 1gig ram with the 256 meg video card...

Good job. You'll do well with that rig.

Soon after getting the computer i am going to purchase this ram...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134549

Will that work smoothly with my system? i see in the comments people have success stories with it so my guess would be YES it will work. But i would like to hear any horror stories or tips so i can avoid any problems...

Yep. Kingston is a recommended name for RAM.

another quesiton, I have all my music backed up to my external Western Digital 500gig hard drive, that will work fine w/ the mac right? im 90 percent positive it will but theres always that chance that it won't...

Yeah, should work just fine. I have a 250gig one of those hooked to my Macbook. Firewire, not USB, but my understanding is that USB works fine.

Another question... I might be able to convince my parents to get me the 24 inch screen. Is it really worth it? I want the extra resolution and screen space but is it REALLY that much more?

I can't recall the difference between the 20" iMac vs the 24" iMac, but I do recall that the difference between the 17" and the 20" was stunning. Pretty sure the diff between the 20 and 24 would be similar. Here's the first rule of parents: Get as much out of them as you can. Tell them you will be able to multitask and do twice, no, three times the amount of homework in a given amount of time if you have more screen real estate. [In reality, you'll be half-heartedly writing a book report while full-heartedly checking out the chicks on MySpace, and keeping up with the latest Halo news. O:) ]

OP
Montie Da Champ
Reaction score
DUDE!!!

thats the funniest thing i've heard all day!!! lmaooo

you just FULLY guessed my life.

lmaooo thats how i got my first computer out of them, MOMM IT'S SO FAST I'LL BE ABLE TO DO MY HOMEWORK SOOO MUCH BETTER!!

haha

but in reality, yes, i was checking out chicks on myspace haha.

do you play halo 3???

PM me your tag and we can play =P.

also, i've already convinced them to get me the 24 incher. i'm so happy. i looked at the measurements on apple.com and OMG it's SOOO huge. it's gonna be the nicest screen ever. also, it's going to take up my entire viewing area in my desk haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.