10.5, BootCamp and Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I have 10.5. I have 32 gb partition with Vista on it, just for QuickBooks. I also own a copy of Parallels 3.0. Can I load Parallels on the 10.5 side and access the BootCamp'ed Vista partition?

I like having the ability to boot Vista alone if I want, but sometimes I need QuickBooks just for a quick reference.

Thanks,

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
re-booting stinks, can someone help me?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Dont know about parallels but VMware supports booting the bootcamp partition.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Highly suggest printing out both the quick start guide and the regular guide and take a quick read thru both of them.

Only used it myself for a very short period of time, but the guides walk you through it pretty good.

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope I don't have to wipe the already partitioned Vista side.

I will read the manual. I ran Parallels before 10.5, but was using it for Office 2008 and it was slow. I have since then moved to Office 2004(mac) and only need Windows for QuickBooks.

If QuickBooks 2008(mac) supports credit cards I don't need Windows any more...anyway...Thanks!

Reaction score
I run 10.5 and I control my Boot Camp partition via Parallels on a regular basis. Let me know how it goes.

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run 10.5 and I control my Boot Camp partition via Parallels on a regular basis. Let me know how it goes.

Just to be very, very clear. I have a BootCamp partition already installed with Vista and everything runs great. I am very hesitant to install Parallels right now...with everything running so good.

Did you install Parallels after your BootCamp partition was completely running? Is it easy? I tried installing Parallels right after I clean installed 10.5. Parallels didn't install all that great, so I went to BootCamp.

Any advice?...for installing Parallels after I have the two sides running well?

Thanks, sorry to sound so hesitant. I can't afford to rock this boat right now, but really need to get to QuickBooks quicker than a re-boot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, did you print and read the manuals?

You're never going to know until you install it whether it is for you or not. Read the manual, install it and give it a try. Parallels or VMWare Fusion, either one, both give you free trial period to check it out.

Both of them will use your Bootcamped windows installation without needing to re-install windows again. Just to be very, very clear, Parallels or VMWare are applications that run in OS X like any other app. They just allow you to run windows apps. You like one of em keep it, you don't, uninstall it and go back to re-booting.

Bottom line:
You either dislike the need to re-boot enough to give one of them a shot and pay for it or you don't. Personally, I reboot. But extremely rare. A lot of people like both of these apps and I've tried them both using my bootcamped windows install. Just isn't worth the cash to me unless I find the need to boot into windows any more often than I do now.

Reaction score
I started all this when I was back on 10.4. I created a Boot Camp partition, and then installed Parallels and accessed my Boot Camp partition. When I upgraded to Leopard, I simply launched Parallels and the process was the same.

It is very easy to do. All you do is create a new Virtual Machine, and one of the options is Boot Camp. As for your "install not going well", I am not sure what to say. Both my sides run great. When I reboot into Boot Camp, everything is just fine. When I use Parallels to access my Boot Camp, everything is still great. If you haven't bought Parallels, you may want to try VMWare Fusion, and see if you like that more. It has the same capability.

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help and encouragement so far. Back when leopard came out I clean installed and then put on Parallels 3.0. The Parallel's install stalled out and Lepoard would not boot, only gray screen. Did some searching on the Parallels' site and it said some Leopard users were having issues with the original 3.0 build.

So I installed Leopard again, and choose to use BootCamp Vista partition since then. I have a key for Parallels 2.0 and 3.0. I'm familiar with how they work. I just wasn't sure if I could link to an already built partition. I got that answer, thanks. I just downloaded the latest Parallels build and will attempt and install today.

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahhh Sweet Success. Thanks everyone!

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A minor snag has popped up.

I logged into the Boot Camp partition today via Parallels.
It said my copy of Vista was not genuine.
I entered my key but it said the key was no good(pretty much)
I shut down.
Then shut down OSX.
Booted up using "alt" key
Also said copy of Vista was not genuine
Entered key
Activation complete, it took it fine
ran Windows Update, and some other tasks
shut down
restarted OSX
started Parallels
says copy is not genuine AGAIN! bummer

So I thought it might be the fact that since I installed Parallels after my Boot Camp partition was already in place. I never entered a key for the partition into Parallels. I searched around the User Manual, but found no place to add the key.

As I said in a previous post I have been using that partition for weeks now, activated it fine, no issues.

On a side note that may help. When I click on the Parallels "Windows Vista" alias, it pops up a box on top of the Vista window, see image I attached to this post. This happens every time I run Parallels.

Anyone help here?

Thanks again everyone!

Picture 5.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I get the same issue when using my bootcamp partition whith VMware Fusion, even after VMware tools is installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.