alternative to klipsch pro media

Reaction score
Ive had a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s for about 2 years now and I love the way they sound. However they recently broke, and after going through about 4 defective replacement sets, I'm looking for a different set of speakers. Can anyone recommend a 2.1 system in the 150-200 dollar range (give or take) thats comparable or better to them set in sound quality? Ive been looking at the Aego M 2.1 system has anyone heard of them? thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

An audiophile friend of mine highly recommended the Swans M200MKII (you'd need to find yourself a decent subwoofer to accompany these though and that will probably send you over budget) which were on sale for months at Newegg. The company, HiVi, was trying to make its name in North America. Nowadays, I don't know for how much they go.

Edited to add:

Newegg has them at $179.99. Price was slightly lower before but my friend did tell me these could not be beat for the price you pay and he thoroughly tests plenty of systems with his computer gear and hifi systems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Those are excellent I am told. I have never had the opportunity to hear them, but everyone who has said they are excellent.

To Shusty, What exactly went wrong with your 2 year old Pro medias? I have had a pair for 2 years and they are the best Computer grade speakers I have ever owned. What was wrong with the replacements? I hope Klipsch is not going down hill in the QC department

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
We've got Klipsch 5.1 surround sound set. The center and rear left speakers went out within 3 months regular use.

OP
S
Reaction score
Macheadcase- Thanks I'll look into those, is there any subwoofer you had in mind? My budget isnt set in stone I'd just like to stay around that area, I don't want to be spending 4 or 500 dollars on a set of computer speakers.

dtravis- Which speakers were you talking about? The DIN connector (round one that plugs into back of sub) went out on mine. I looked around the the klipsch help forum and it looks like its a fairly common problem. Just make sure you keep the back of the sub off your wall and don't put pressure or bang around on the connector.

EDIT: I'm assuming you were talking about the Swans since you put it before the to shusty. Has anyone heard of those Aego M speakers? They have some pretty good reviews online but Im curious if anyones heard them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
dtravis- Which speakers were you talking about? The DIN connector (round one that plugs into back of sub) went out on mine. I looked around the the klipsch help forum and it looks like its a fairly common problem. Just make sure you keep the back of the sub off your wall and don't put pressure or bang around on the connector.

EDIT: I'm assuming you were talking about the Swans since you put it before the to shusty. Has anyone heard of those Aego M speakers? They have some pretty good reviews online but Im curious if anyones heard them.

Yeah I was talking about the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's like you have. I have always been careful with that DIN plug as I know they can break. I have seen Logitech's with a similar plug and jack break. I put in a new jack on an Altec system. I wonder if you can get the parts anywhere? If so I can fix it.

I have not heard one thing about the Aego's at all. Only the Swans which are always praised.

M

MacHeadCase

I would google Aego M review but would only read the serious hifi website reviews not those supposed reviews on websites that sell them.

I think I remember a review on them when I was looking to buy speakers and the review said the sound was a bit thin. Then my friend told me about the Swans instead of the Aegos. I finally ended up not being able to buy anything, money became sparse.

Edited to add:

For the subwoofer, my friend had recommend a discontinued Rocket model, can't find the bookmark or email at the moment but you won't be able to find out now unless you hang around a few hifi forums and look into their Sell& Buy forums or look for them in eBay or craigslist.

OP
S
Reaction score
I did do a search for reviews I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience with them. As for the DIN ya there is a fix, in theory all you need to do is buy a mouse extension (which uses the same 6 pin DIN). I tried this but theres about 5 different wiring diagrams and I couldn't get any of them to work, so either the problem is on the internal half of the DIN which is soldered to the circuit board and didnt look very easy to remove, or I fried the board by using a wrong diagram on the first couple tries.

Thanks for the replies, Ill look into the Swans. If I end up getting the Aego's ill tell you guys how they compare to the pro medias. If all else fails Ill just give the Kilpsch set another try hopefully it wont be another waste of 2 trips to best buy.

dtravis- just out of curiosity, do you notice a slight bias towards the left in sound output when the volume control is low on the speakers? I had this on my original set and every set I tried after it. Its not very obvious you actually have to listen for it but as I turned the volume up on the speaker it would gradually pan over and be centered.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis- just out of curiosity, do you notice a slight bias towards the left in sound output when the volume control is low on the speakers? I had this on my original set and every set I tried after it. Its not very obvious you actually have to listen for it but as I turned the volume up on the speaker it would gradually pan over and be centered.

I have messed with the Balance slider in OSX Preferences and always felt the Left sounded a bit stronger. Thought it was in my head at first, but I can hear it every time I mess with it.

Reaction score
Edited to add:

Newegg has them at $179.99. Price was slightly lower before but my friend did tell me these could not be beat for the price you pay and he thoroughly tests plenty of systems with his computer gear and hifi systems.

I may have to look into those speakers. I have the Kplisch 2.1 Speakers, they still work fine, I bought them the summer of 2001. The speakers have been dropped so many times that the speaker grills no longer attach. I have always left the power on on these speakers and they still work after all these years.

M

MacHeadCase

I think you'll love those speakers, hexonxonx.

Speaking of the Swans, I think but am not completely sure, that the subwoofer my audiophile friend recommended might have been an ancestor to this model, Rocket ULW-10 Subwoofer. I do remember it had a 10 in its model name. Since he recommended a discontinued model the price was much cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.