Linux on Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo w/ 2 Gb of Ram
I recently purchased a Macbook with 2gb of ram and a 2.16 Ghz processor. I was wondering if anyone knew what distribution of linux would run the most smoothly on my setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I would say Ubuntu. It's a pretty nice linux system. lots of drivers and good community support. You can download a live CD and try it out. It's totally free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0ghz
Linux Mint is also a very nice distribution - it's based on Ubuntu, so it has the same community support and repositories (for software) that Ubuntu does. It is setup with restricted codecs and drivers pre-installed, and it looks nicer than Ubuntu Proper's brownish UPSesque theme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Virtually any major Linux distro will work well. Ubuntu, SuSE, Redhat, Debian to name a few.

You can also try these using Parallels or VM Fusion, to save on dual booting or partitioning up precious HDD space.

Reaction score
I've currently been using Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro for just over two months. I installed rEFIt and used to use Ubuntu 7.04 it worked but there were a few problems. But since the 7.10 release I've installed it everything works fine. The sound, lighting, iSight, keyboard lighting, sensors (not sure everything). The only thing that's giving me problems is the nvidia graphic card witch I can't seem to install the official driver. It works until I reboot and then it's set up to the defaults again. But I think that this can be fixed I just have to find some time. Everything else works fine (accept for a kernel bug that doesn't recognize my Nikon camera but that's a another story).
Anyway I thought it would be tougher to setup everything, but now I'm glad I got the a Mac.

Nice day to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.