G5 vs new intel Imac?!!

Reaction score
Sorry to bug you guys,

Im a newbie when it comes to mac. I was just wondering which is more powerful for recording, a dual 2.0ghz g5, or a new 2.0 ghz intel imac?

Im recording electronic drums and hope to use my line6 toneport ux1, as i love the guitar tones on them. Not to mention it has bass and vocal effects.

Currently on ebay i can get a dual 2.0 ghz g5 for 1100, and a studio monitor for 150 ish.

A new imac is around 1200+, but limited upgrades.

i have a 1400 dollar budget.

What would you guys do?

Please help asap, i can only get a student discount until tonight!

Reaction score
G5 ve intel mac

I<m not into music, but based on what I have read and my own G5 2,0 that the intel macs are faster at almost every thing. I'm into photography and as soon as leopard is available ,I'm going for an intel mac.
just a tip, If you go for an intel, go to the apple store on the web at store.apple.com and in the lower right:* click on bargains. You can find Reconditioned Macs with the full mac guarantee for a discount.

Good Luck

Reaction score
is the one on ebay a g5 power mac or imac? because is expandability is a concern your life will be much easier with teh power mac, if not i would go with the intel imac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.