iTunes as an alarm clock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
An easy and FREE way to do it is here using Quicksilver:

First, you need to "Enable Advanced Features" in the QS Preferences.

Then, go to "Catalog", and Click "Quicksilver" in the sidebar...

Now, check the "Proxy Objects"

Now, click the rescan icon in the lower-right corner of the Preferences window..

Close the Preferences.

On to the good stuff....

Music Alarm!!!

Invoke QS....

Go through the quick process of telling QS to play a specific song.. Itunes, browse, etc...

Instead of pressing ENTER to execute the command, press CTRL+ENTER.

You will now see "RUN" as the Action....

Press the RIGHT arrow... then scroll down to "Run at time..." Press TAB

Now enter the time.. 6:15am or 3:30pm whatever...

Press Enter.

Your song will begin playing at whatever time you designated.
(You can also use the "Run after delay" action followed by TAB, then type 1h 45m 10s... or whatever).

Want a TEXT pop-up reminder?

Invoke QS

type "." (period) to go into Text mode.

Type whatever you want: "visit mac forums" or "go get the kids" (no quotes needed.)

"Large Type" will already be the default action...

Press CTRL+ENTER

Press the Right Arrow

Select "run after delay" or "Run at time"

Enter the time or delay... press enter.

Viola!

This works with ANYTHING quicksilver can do... Open an app, open a URL, quit an app, terminal commands, etc...

Long live Quicksilver!!!

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Ah, thx a lot :), I just saw that Awaken ain't free ^^.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac 17" 1GB RAM
Just trying this itunes and quicksilver alarm clock thing thing, got a few noobish queries:

Presumably I'd have to use the schedule to start up the mac just before the appointed time? Then I'd have to get the mac to log me in (i.e. it bypasses the password)? I'd also need quicksilver to start at login?

After 1.5 years of having a mac (can't believe it's gone so fast!) I still know next to nothing! I guess that's the joy of having an OS that just works, so i dont need to go find out all these things :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You can even set an iCal alarm for "everyday" and then at alarm time make it to run a simple applescript (google it) to make itunes play a particular playlist...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Just trying this itunes and quicksilver alarm clock thing thing, got a few noobish queries:

Presumably I'd have to use the schedule to start up the mac just before the appointed time? Then I'd have to get the mac to log me in (i.e. it bypasses the password)? I'd also need quicksilver to start at login?

After 1.5 years of having a mac (can't believe it's gone so fast!) I still know next to nothing! I guess that's the joy of having an OS that just works, so i dont need to go find out all these things :p

All you need to do is be sure the mac is awake... when I want to use an iTunes alarm, I have my MacBook set to NEVER sleep while on the power adapter. The Display sleeps but not the HD. Then... at 6:07am I wake up to birds chirping and a little voice saying "look mummy, there's an airplane up in the sky" (trivia question... What song is it?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13 in. MacBook, 2 GHz CPU, 2G RAM, 100GB HD
at 6:07am I wake up to birds chirping and a little voice saying "look mummy, there's an airplane up in the sky" (trivia question... What song is it?)

oh, by the way, which one's pink (goodbye)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I use Aurora, it's free and also has EyeTV support which is cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.