TypeBook equivalent for Mac OS X

M

MacHeadCase

Hi people! I hope someone knows about this, so here goes...

In the pre-OS X days, there was a program, the TypeBook, that would print out pages for each font you had, list examples of what the typeface looked like, give you info on how many characters would fit in a 1 pica space for a given size, etc. (See attached file below for an example of what a page looked like)

The school I go to uses the TypeBook to list all the available fonts and help us calculate our text for layouts and stuff.

I've googled to see if anything like this exists for Mac OS X but cannot find anything.

I use LinoType's FontExplorer X and it doesn't seem like it can do this. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thank you for your input.

TypeBook.jpg

OP
M

MacHeadCase

A teacher just let me know of an equivalent and thought I'd post it here in case someone needs it.

It's called Veenix Font Tools. Licenses are good for life i.e. when the app is updated, upgrades will always be free and you can try it out before buying (some features are disabled though).

From the MacUpdate webpage:

Veenix Font Tools with Type Book Creator is a collection of modular font tools and utilities that allow you to quickly view, sample, print, compare, activate, install and organize your fonts. With the Type Book Creator tool you create type books or catalogs of your entire font collection with Customizable Layouts and no need to activate fonts first! The software also includes a proportion calculator, measurement conversion tool, color tools and screen grab tools.
Veenix support PostScript, TrueType, OpenType and dfont font formats.

Font Tools:

Visual Font List/Database
Complete Character Set Charts
Font Samples Window
Font Comparison Window
Font more...

Reaction score
I don't know if this application does x-actly what you need, but it has several layouts and other features.

LemkeSoft FontBook

JC

PD - Sorry, I don't have the link so you'll have to Google it.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, Halcyon! And thank you so much for the help. Will look it up right now.

Cheers! Oh and I hope you stick around! :girl:

OP
M

MacHeadCase

For anyone else interested, here is the link to Halcyon's app suggestion, FontBook.

It does indeed look good, Halcyon! I'll try to find bigger screenshots if that's possible because I can't tell if there is any info on the space a character occupies in one pica or not.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Wanted to edit my previous post but the Edit button now disappears?

In any case, I have emailed Lemke to ask them if it is possible to add the feature I am looking for in the next version of FontBook as it doesn't seem to have it. The feature I am talking about is the creation of a font reference catalog like in theTypeBook. You see how many characters fit in one pica space for any given size, or font. It helps you calculate type, how much space it will take in a page layout, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.