• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MTV's "Pimp My Ride" + MBP, iPod, etc.

K

Katie

on tonight's episode of MTV's "Pimp My Ride", it featured a girl with a terrible Toyota Celica. that's not the point, however! she stated at the beginning of the show that she spent all of her time and money into her car and didn't own or ever use a computer, cellphone, etc. when MTV "pimped her ride", they gave her an MBP, some kind of iPod and a Blackberry (I think)! lucky girl! just thought I'd share. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that is actually a good show.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A friend of my daughters has been selected for the next season of this show..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
shes lucky.. they do amazing work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
baggss said:
A friend of my daughters has been selected for the next season of this show..

Lucky. Maybe I should try to get my truck on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
PowerBookG4 said:
shes lucky.. they do amazing work.

Have they changed since the first season? The last time I watched the show they did amazingly shoddy work with a bunch of bondo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
MTV, Pimp my old PC! (not like it's possible)

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
that is actually a good show.
You're kidding? right?

That has got to be the worst show on the planet, I do admit watching it a couple of times, but c',mon, the work they do on these cars are outright "hideous".

Why would I want a fish tank in my ride or a flat panel tv under my car?
Next thing you know they wil be installing a toilet, with the flushing going out the tailpipe.. lol

If they just made the cars alot more practical like from the show "Overhaulin'", now that is a show!

The only good thing she got out of that deal was the MBP and an IPod. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I find it incredibly hilarious. Xzibit is pretty much the funniest (unintentionally) man ever.

The work they do is always impressive. However, impressive does not necessarily equal good taste.

If I were to get my ride "pimped", I'd want more engine, chassis, and suspension mods, not just a huge TV in the back. They hardly touch the engine in most of the cars...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You have to keep in mind who the show is catering too. The demographics they are catering to want those items, that the show installs in it vehicles. As for overhaulin, that is a different show and a different demographics.

I watch both shows, and find that the car insurance would definitely be on the cars from pimp ride. But the cars on overhaulin are more practical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
it's...entertaining. most of the time, the mods make absolutely no sense (like tv screens in the bumpers). but, it's entertaining.

also, there are many many more trashy shows on mtv2. Like my super sweet 16. GAWD that's awful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
I think the fact that they actually hand out items (such as laptops, phones, etc.) to help with the person's schooling/lifestyle/career is always nice.

OP
I

iRizzo

Pimp My Ride is f'n stupid. I love how Xzibit tries to take all the credit for the work that goes into the cars when all he does is pick it up and drive it to the shop. The paint schemes they do are hideous. All the bodywork is done with bondo......come on now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I saw that episode. It was a 17in. PB not a MBP, white 4GB Nano and 2TB of external storage. The car was generally obnoxious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
the cars there usually are. Like I said, screens in THE BUMPERS!

OP
K

Katie

IronMac said:
I saw that episode. It was a 17in. PB not a MBP, white 4GB Nano and 2TB of external storage. The car was generally obnoxious.

so, was it an older episode? I thought it was new... and only saw a "coming up next" commercial with the laptop, ipod, cellphone and etc flashing by, so I assumed MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
HAHA. I watch "My Super Sweet 16" because it makes me feel normal.

Normal is good. Those girls are effing crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I "pimped" my ride better than these people get...Mac mini in the glovebox, 7" touchscreen in the dash, griffin powermate for volume control, griffin airclick USB for everything else (front row control).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
snoslicer8 said:
I "pimped" my ride better than these people get...Mac mini in the glovebox, 7" touchscreen in the dash, griffin powermate for volume control, griffin airclick USB for everything else (front row control).

id like to see pictures of that! what kind of vehicle is it in anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
It's a 2003 Saturn L200. I actually just finished the install about 2 weeks ago, so I haven't had much time for pictures. I'll try to snap some soon though, macvroom.com is waiting for some pics so they can do a story on it as well. If they get a story up, I'll link it in here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.