• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

new education mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
apple insider reports that apple is working on new mac for education, that will replace eMac and have iMac style design.

they do not offer any specs but I think it's not hard to figure out.
I'd expect

iMac case and motherboard (will save apple the design costs)

1.5 core solo or 1.66 core duo (iMac CPU is socketed so it will make it even easier for apple to use existed MB)

combo or super drive (BTO)

80-160 HDD

integrated graphics

512 RAm

no wireless or blue tooth.

799$ - 999$

P

pbook24

i would be surprised if it didn't include wireless. My school when we had macs all ran wirelessly because it was neater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
I too would think it would have an Airport Card. That way they can sell Base Stations too.

Reaction score
No wireless in a school environment would be downright stupid. Think of all the cables the school would have to purchase. Our school has a wireless network at about 80% of campus, and anyone can access it with their account and password.
The network is basically setup by a huge array of airport stations and iBooks, all data is stored on a 10TB Xserve RAID in the basement. We have a 6kbps connection to the internet.

All wireless. All with iBooks and eMacs. (the teachers get to use iMacs, but only 17" muahaha)

M

MJGUK

yogi said:
No wireless in a school environment would be downright stupid.
QFE!

This sounds like a good idea as a replacement for the eMac - Very feasable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Was the eMac really an educational mac? I always thought it was more of a budget mac, until the Mini was released.

My school doesn't have wireless. In fact, the whole county runs on ONE 10 MB/S connection. It is slowwwwwwww. I have teachers I know that bring their own laptops and hook up their dial up because its faster. They've been trying to get wireless, but the system is very poor. So when I bring the iBook, I have to steal an ethernet cable from one of the busted computers, because theres always at least one that doesnt work in each room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
- My school has macs everywhere, all networked, everything. We have emacs in the computer lab. iMac g3s in classrooms for the teachers. If the teachers need to give presentations they would bring in a projector and an iBook or if the students need to use laptops they bring in a cart full of iBooks. I believe we have 3 carts full of 20 laptops. Wireless is great. I can even bring in my laptop and surf the web.

-why would the emac look like an imac? i thought the point of having the emac as it was was so that the students don't tip it and such. And woulden't consumers buy it and think they are getting the iMac and then COMPLAIN that its not great?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Was the eMac really an educational mac? I always thought it was more of a budget mac, until the Mini was released.

No, the "e" stood for "earl".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I think a good design for the new eMac will be similar to the current iMac, but have a kind of deeper curved back and a flat base (no metal stand), which would make it stable (but not as deep as the eMac).

And a 1.66GHz Core Duo, 512mb ram, 80GB hdd, 17" widescreen and airport extreme will be a nice base config.

The college I go to runs a couple of hunderd Dell desktops on wired 100mbps ethernet, and about 20 Rock laptops on wirless in the physics department. I'm not too sure about any other departments.

My secondary school ran Dells on a Celeron server, and as expected, it crashed and went slow all the time. Luckily they had a wireless network and I used to take my ThinkPad to use (I wasn't a Mac convert then).

OP
MAC-simus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
and this is my "widescreen" version:)

emac.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I like it!

The widescreen version looks quite good with the triangular kinda shape.

M

MJGUK

poohfighter said:
this is really cool, will it be available for the public or just schools.
Both I would imagine?
Same as the eMac has always been, or at least to my knowledge.

OP
MAC-simus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
MJGUK said:
Both I would imagine?
actuelly at first emac was exclusivly for educational market. apple releaced it to general public bit later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
MJGUK said:
Both I would imagine?

The eMac was originaly only marketed toward education, but was released for the public a month after it came out because of demand.

M

MJGUK

Ah righty, got ya.

But then presumably they would just follow the trend of previous times and release this one to the public right at the start?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MJGUK said:
Ah righty, got ya.

But then presumably they would just follow the trend of previous times and release this one to the public right at the start?

I don't see why not.

I think Apple has a major void in their product line without a Mac at the $900-$1000 range. You have so many people just stuck who can't decide wether or not to buy a Mini Core Duo or an iMac.

M

MJGUK

to_tough_to_die said:
I don't see why not.

I think Apple has a major void in their product line without a Mac at the $900-$1000 range. You have so many people just stuck who can't decide wether or not to buy a Mini Core Duo or an iMac.
Indeed and of course with the Mini you don't have the screen/sounds etc - So I'm sure they'd push quite a lot of units if they released a refreshed/new eMac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MJGUK said:
Indeed and of course with the Mini you don't have the screen/sounds etc - So I'm sure they'd push quite a lot of units if they released a refreshed/new eMac :)

The main issue I had with the eMac was it's cost comparitive to the Mini. $300 over the Mini of the same specs for a CRT and a keyboard and mouse set? Not exactly worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.